Cain and Abel Help

<<

chasebadkids

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:48 pm

Cain and Abel Help

Hey guys, I have Cain and Abel and Can use it just fine to connect to my home network and grab my passwords / sniff passwords on my home network, but when I try to bring my laptop to work and do the samne thing, it finds other networks, but as far as the APR sniffer, when I go to add different networks for it to sniff, it doesnt want to work, it wont let me import any of the networks from the work network, ive even tried conencting at a friends house and the same happens, any idea why this might be happening?
<<

Diablo22

Post Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:54 am

Re: Cain and Abel Help

Maybe your cain is more ethical than you! :)

I think you have windows firewall on!
<<

chasebadkids

Post Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:42 am

well I recently uninstalled norton, and I think windows firewall turned on, but I thought I turned it off, Ill try again and lte you know.

Thanks
<<

nitinceh

Post Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:55 pm

[glow=red,2,300][/glow]

Hi All,

As per my knowledge, it will depend on ur network or VLAN configuration, and the subnet/ lan segment ur pc is currently using the ip of.

Norton and some AV's does kill the cain.exe, so it is not killed by Mcafee, either ways you can create an exception under AV's options prior to installing the C&A.

Hope this helps.

Nitin Kushwaha
India
<<

chasebadkids

Post Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:36 pm

Okay, I took my laptop to school today and could not connect to the network with it, as far as scanning the "Wireless" part it found a list of connections, but as far as the "apr" and loading in the networks to sniff and such, no new ones ever came up, in fact it showed only networks that are located at my home. 

I cant get it to show new connections under the APR!

help?
<<

LSOChris

Post Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:10 pm

do you mean ARP?
<<

chasebadkids

Post Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:19 pm

ye sorry, i meant arp
<<

dean

Post Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:18 pm

...and could not connect to the network with it, as far as scanning the "Wireless" part it found a list of connections...

Well, based on that it appears that you're using wireless and are not connected to the network. I assune that when you say "connections" you mean SSIDs.

Once you have connected and joined a wireless network, you need to scan using the "scan for mac address" feature. The APR (Arp Poison Routing) feature of C&A will work across wireless just fine.

You also need to make sure that if you're spoofing your MAC and IP addresses that (1) the MAC is not already in use and (2) the IP address is within the local subnet range. If it is not then all traffic will go to the default gateway and you will not see anything. Remember that the sniffer/scanner will only resolve  MAC addresses in the local broadcast domain.

but as far as the "apr" and loading in the networks to sniff and such, no new ones ever came up, in fact it showed only networks that are located at my home.

APR will load individual MAC addresses to be poisoned, not networks. If by networks you mean mac addresses of machines on your home network, then clear out those addresses and try again.

dean
<<

chasebadkids

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:12 am

I scan for mac adresses and it doesnt  seem to find any of the ones on the network im on, it only lists the ones that are on the network at my house.
<<

dean

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:18 pm

First clear out the MAC addresses from your home network. Check and make sure what IP/MAC you're spoofing, if you are doing that.

You had mentioned doing this over a wireless connection. Depending on the Wireless Infrastructure in place it might be that the access points are enforcing peer isolation. This prevents one peer/device from seeing the others.

You can also check your connectivity on the wireless network too. Ping a device.

Check the forums on oxid.it.

dean

Return to Tools