Wargames

<<

dannioni

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:18 am

Wargames

Hi, I've been reading a lot about hacking/security and now I would like to get some real experience, since I don't want to hack other peoples computers I was hoping for some wargame, or maybe set up a hacklab at home.

So the questions are:

1. Do you know any good active wargames?

2. What software, operating systems etc. should I install in a hacklab?
<<

venom77

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:12 am

Re: Wargames

I'm surprised Chris hasn't jumped at this one yet, so I'll point you in that direction in the meantime :)

Have a look at LSO - Learn Security Online at learnsecurityonline.com. They host some wargames.

As for setting up a lab, you'll need (at the least) a victim computer and an attacker computer. Just think of what you'd be attacking in the real world, and what you'd use to do that, and you should have your answer. I'd recommend at least a Windows client, Windows Server, and a couple of various linux distributions.
<<

linuxstarved

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:06 am

Definately check out LSO, from time to time they will have rootwars open to the public, and chock full of knowledgable people.  Also leverage the ability of vitual environments to create a varied and large network.

Provided you have the requisite ram with two "victim" machines, the possibilities for different OSes are staggering. 

However there is so much more to infosec then pentrating a network.  Take some time to work on enumerating networks, and getting to figure out all the information that is out there...google google google ;)
<<

dannioni

Post Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:41 pm

Thanks for your answers, I've checked out LSO and subscribed to their newsletter and it seems like a good site, but I'll also see if I can set up some kind of hacklab. Or secretly use the schools network  ;)
<<

jimbob

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:55 am

dannioni wrote: Or secretly use the schools network  ;)

*ahem* ethicalhacker.net *ahem*

Using someone else's machines for you hacklab is a big no-no. Of course, I'm sure you were just joking ;)

Jimbob
<<

dean

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:09 am

dannioni,

If you don't have the resources to set up your own lab, or even if you do, check out these sites:

www.hackthissite.org --> lots of challenges including web app, application/crackme's, coding, logic, etc...

www.rootthisbox.org -->various boxes contributed by members to hack.

www.smashthestack.org --> high quality challenges including reversing, overflows. etc...

and of course the LSO root wars.

Cheers,
Dean
<<

dannioni

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:38 pm

jimbob, of course I was joking, if not i would have joined blackhat.net  ;)! And thank you, dean for the links.
<<

squidmaster

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:19 pm

OHHH man I forgot completely about rootthisbox!
dang thanks for reminding me.
But yeah just grab a cheapo wireless router and a creapo computer with XP on it (because, honestly, most all people use XP, if they use linux the only thing you are going to steal are hack tools to get into XP :P)
<<

bianoc

Post Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:19 am

Re: WargamWargamees

telent 74.95.90.171

user: level1
pass:level1

try this one.. pretty good wargame
<<

venom77

Post Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:25 am

That's already been posted... the IP belongs to Learn Security Online.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:35 am

Re: WargamWargamees

bianoc wrote:telent 74.95.90.171

user: level1
pass:level1

try this one.. pretty good wargame

just tried this one,

telnet connection is timing out and traceroute is showing fairly horrible latency.

Is this part of the challenge or am I doing something wrong?
<<

bianoc

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:57 pm

have anyone passed level4?
<<

LSOChris

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:46 pm

yes

got a specific question
Last edited by LSOChris on Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

shawal

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:13 pm

If you are into this as a career, and will be doing this professionally I suggest that you invest your time in having a virtual machine setup with both Linux, and windows, you will use this later to test expliots, and penetation techniques, and this will be your safe haven not breaking any laws, or inviting bad people to your machine while you have not gained enough skills to secure your self yet. check de-ice.net pen-test live cds, and there is a course covering it in http://heorot.net/livecds/, also they are some free videos will be available soon as they promise. other than that offensive security do set up a virtual lab as well as sans if you take ondemand courses. the bottom line if you create your own lab it is a skill investment by itself
RHCE, GIAC GCIH.

Return to Network Pen Testing