good tool to find IP range in use on wireless network

<<

bushmlev

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:09 pm

good tool to find IP range in use on wireless network

Here's the situation.  I know my SSID, I know my WPA pass-code, I have DHCP turned off, and MAC filtering turned on.  With this I can "connect" to my wireless network, but without an IP.  Is there a tool out there that will allow me to capture traffic to find the IP range I'm utilizing?  Before answering this, keep in mind I don't have the IP range, and I don''t have DHCP enabled, so I don't have an IP in the range of my network to use for the interface doing the "sniffing"...  I'd prefer a Windows app (sorry), but any will do.  Thanks, and good luck!
<<

LSOChris

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:25 pm

Re: good tool to find IP range in use on wireless network

kismet will sometimes show you the IP range
<<

Diablo22

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:33 am

Use languard and scan for subnet
<<

dean

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:48 pm

Not sure I understand the question.

You own the AP and have all the keys, passphrases, etc... and don't know the IP range in use?? Easiest way, if you own the AP, is to login and check what is in use. Most will probably be on the default range of 192.168.1.100 and up. that's for linksys at least.

If you want to sniff the network for addresses in use then you are limited with wireless nics on windows. For sniffing you cannot place the card into passive/promisc mode unless you get the airpcap drivers from CACE.

You could just run wireshark and wait for any broadcast traffic to hit the wireless nic..

alternatively, run linux and use Kismet.

or start guessing.

dean
<<

bushmlev

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:29 pm

dean wrote:Not sure I understand the question.

You own the AP and have all the keys, passphrases, etc... and don't know the IP range in use?? Easiest way, if you own the AP, is to login and check what is in use. Most will probably be on the default range of 192.168.1.100 and up. that's for linksys at least.

If you want to sniff the network for addresses in use then you are limited with wireless nics on windows. For sniffing you cannot place the card into passive/promisc mode unless you get the airpcap drivers from CACE.

You could just run wireshark and wait for any broadcast traffic to hit the wireless nic..

alternatively, run linux and use Kismet.

or start guessing.

dean
Dean,  to answer your question, I do know what subnet I'm on...  I'm trying to "crack" my own network as an experiment.  As it sits, I'm simulating that I've been able to connect to the wireless network with the SSID/pass-key, but am unable to figure out a way to figure out the subnet being used, without having an IP on the interface that I would be "sniffing" with find find said subnet...  hope that clears things up a little.

I'll check out Languard, as I've never heard of it.  Maybe it's the answer!  Thanks for the replies guys!
<<

Florin

Post Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:05 am

I don't know if Languard can help you with this, but surely Kismet can.

Just put your card into promiscous mode and start Kismet, and if there is enough traffic finaly it will display also the network range used by the wireless network.
Security+, OSCP, CISM, CISSP
<<

bushmlev

Post Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:05 pm

Thanks LK, I'll try it tonight when I get a chance.
<<

termight

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:53 am

hi this is a little something i got for you
as long as you are connected to the network you can do an arp -a or -g at the windows command prompt.
if dhcp is disabled there will by all means be a default GW that allows you to reach the internet or the rest of the network.
this should work because arp maps IP to MAC, then after you get a single IP detect the class of IP eg. class A,B or C.

the  ;)hardway is to ping all host with in the network or subnet

sorry if this is a long method but as a hacker(ethical) you must do what ever it  take to get what you want.

hope this works if it doesn't please let me know.

NB:software tools were created by the human mind so you can think and create one for your self. :)
>>There Is Always A Blind Spot In
>>Every Software, It's Up To Us To Find It

Return to Network Pen Testing