Security Suite Smackdown 2008

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:16 pm

Security Suite Smackdown 2008

I'd be interested to hear what all of you like and dislike about these products featured in a PC Magazine review By Neil J. Rubenking. Neil picks Norton Internet Security 2008 as the Editors' Choice. What's your fave and why? Let the debate begin!

This is the time of year for the security companies to update their security suites and put next year in the name. It's also time for PC Magazine to test them and report. Here it is, the 2008 Security Suite Smackdown.

There are five suites in this review and only four use "2008" in their name. Kaspersky is still using old-fashioned version numbers, 7.0 to be exact. All five products have some serious strengths and you can tell that they're all maturing somewhat:

BitDefender Total Security 2008—Good anti-malware, new backup and performance tuning modules.
CA Internet Security Suite Plus 2008—Improved firewall and tamper-resistant web-filtering.
Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0—Excellent malware protection and high-quality cleaning.
Norton Internet Security 2008—New Identity Safe manages personal information and passwords.
Panda Internet Security 2008—Best-ever anti-spyware test results.

But that's just the good news. Read the whole review to get the whole picture. This is an important buying decision.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2186662,00.asp

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

psychorugger

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:34 pm

Re: Security Suite Smackdown 2008

It's been a while since I've used BitDefender, but I really like they're linux products more than anything else.

I don't like the CA product for personal reasons.  I've used way too many CA "Security" products that wound up having so many holes that they knew about and decided not to fix, that their "Security" product wound up being the biggest hole in my environment.  I have trust issues with them.

I think Kaspersky is great.  I really like their software just because I feel they've been steady throughout.

Norton has their moments when I feel they get a big head and start lacking.

I've never used Panda.
IAM, IEM, RWSP, CPTS
<<

venom77

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:11 pm

Re: Security Suite Smackdown 2008

psychorugger wrote:I don't like the CA product for personal reasons.  I've used way too many CA "Security" products that wound up having so many holes that they knew about and decided not to fix, that their "Security" product wound up being the biggest hole in my environment.  I have trust issues with them.

I'll second that on CA. I've never been much a fan of their products.

Return to Malware