Need advice on where to start my career!!

<<

koran42

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:12 am

Need advice on where to start my career!!

Hi all i am new here just wanted to get to info on where to go in my career, i have done pc repairs for ICS now i have to do it over in A+, which i will start  next week. I am intereted in Network+, sec+ and CEH. Problem is some school offer Network+ to do it in four days, now i have a quite a good knowledge in Networks but surley if i i never done it before i could not do it in four days at these boot camps. I just think they are advertising just to make money not to train us properly.

thx
<<

EmanoN

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:42 am

Re: Need advice on where to start my career!!

True that. Its all about the Benjamins!
<<

LSOChris

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:51 am

there isnt a single training company out there that isnt trying to make money, so dont get too bent out of shape about that.

you should ALWAYS treat bootcamps as a final review before you go take an exam and not the "teaching" portion, you should be ready to take the test in your mind before you go to a bootcamp.  if you want to learn it, you need to find a trainer who takes their time and teaches it over the course of weeks or a semester, that has homework and tests; that sort of thing.

you should be leary of any body/thing/trainingshop/cert that sells that you can learn what you need to know in 5 days with no prior information or with no way to study beforehand.  will you pass the cert test, probably...will you REALLY know the information, maybe to doubtful.

hope that helps
<<

koran42

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:27 am

Well thanks i will do Comptia A+ first the further my education on something else later on. I just think others should have knowledge of what they doing before going to bootcamp.
<<

EmanoN

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:57 pm

Some of those boot camps get expensive depending on which one. But hey, if after you really learn all your material really well and still want to spend up to $3000 on a "revue" then be my guest! Most training companies are going after rich corporations that think nothing of spending money like that.  They are not targeting the individual that probably has less resources.  My recommendation is think twice before you waste your time and money. There are many cheaper ways to study that are better.  On the other if you got some big sucker to flip the bill for you then go for it. Dont get me wrong, I dont really care if these companies stick it to the big corps, I just hate seeing the unsuspecting individual getting caught up in the entire crazziness.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:43 pm

Training companies know this and agree with you. But like anything in the world, you won't get anything unless you ask. So if anyone is interested in attending a boot camp or any other expensive training, be sure to tell them that you are an individual paying for it by yourself. Most will cut you a great deal.

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME

Return to General Certification