0phCrack

<<

squidmaster

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:01 pm

0phCrack

Been using it for a little but still not very experienced in it.
Just recently though went to regain a lost XP admin password (computer is running like a celeron 1.4GHz with 256MB ram) and when I booted into OC, it just gave me an error in the console saying that no partitions were found with a hash in it.
Anyway just wanted to know if anyone knew a quick fix because I don't really want to reinstall windows and I am giving it to a friend who has no idea how to use linux (or else I would have given him symphony, slackware, or ubuntu)

thanks in advance.
Last edited by squidmaster on Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:15 pm

Re: 0phCrack

Instead of cracking the password, why not just reset it?

Try Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, Bootdisk / CD

This will get you to your goal of getting into the machine without rebuilding.

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

squidmaster

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:39 pm

Yeah I thought about that, but I really want to know what my old password was because I used it for my email account also and I have no idea what that was. I am sure there is something important in there like my lottery winnings (aha I wish :P)
<<

Ph0tog

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:53 pm

Make sure you don't have any encrypted files on your XP machine before you reset the password via a live CD.  Well I guess you can't make sure =)

Once you reset the password, you'll lose access to EFS files encrypted with that account.
<<

EmanoN

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:26 pm

Why dont you just spend some time with OphCrack and understand at least why it doesnt work.  Most crackers like that only work if you have Admin privs so thats the catch 22.  You need to boot to a live Linux security CD and grab the SAMS file. Then you can crack it if its not too complex. Can you at least remember how long your password was, I am assuming this really is your box, hehe.  If you made your password very complex, well even rainbow tables are not going to do you any good.
<<

squidmaster

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:47 pm

0phCrack was just my first attempt at cracking the password, I have other tools but I was just caught off guard at why it didn't work.

Anyway, I will just boot from floppy to get the hash and feed that to C&A, the only thing is, I don't have a floppy drive on ANY other computer and I am way to lazy to move it aha.
<<

dannioni

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:16 pm

I've used Cain with great success, it also has online lookup against a rainbow table, I've never tried that feature, but it should make the cracking a lot easier. But that won't learn you much about how Ophcrack works :P
<<

squidmaster

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:21 pm

C&A is FTW, but I really liked 0phcrack...
oh well

and now that PHLAK has been caned (that really sucks)

Return to Network Pen Testing