Hakin9 Magazine: Worthy?

<<

Big Bur

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:11 am

Hakin9 Magazine: Worthy?

I was looking through the computer section in B&N the other day and noticed the usual 2600 mag, but then I saw one called Hakin9: Hardcore IT Security Magazine. From what I can see, it is printed in Poland and it includes software. It looks very professionally made compared to Blacklisted! 411 and 2600.

Basically what I'm, asking is, does anyone know if this particular magazine is good for people interested in IT Sec. or is there a better magazine out there for IT security?

Here is the "english" version of the website:

http://hakin9.org/index.php?address=en/haking
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:53 pm

Re: Hakin9 Magazine: Worthy?

Type "hakin9" into the search box at the top of the page next to the "Vitals" tab. You'll find several opinions on this.

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

0blivi0n

Post Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:34 am

In my opinion its a good resource for technical articles, that they are focused in the 'how to' nature of a provided solution. They dont provide too much general knowledge that will help in the development of the 'proper way of thinking' which is required for computer security.
I hope that i could help :)
<<

LSOChris

Post Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:43 am

its decent...but it is overpriced IMO

it is way better than 2600 or any of the other random zines out there but you arent going to be uber l33t if you read it.  so it could be better but its probably the best thing out there currently (in print).

of course, alot of that depends on your skill level
<<

Big Bur

Post Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:03 am

As in, if you're a beginner, Hakin9 doesn't apply to you as much? Don't they make that Starterkit magazine for beginners as well?

The reason I ask is because I am a beginner, obviously. I just want to stay up to date with current methods and hacking technology. I know I can do that just by going to websites such as this one, but I like being able to carry around a hard copy.
<<

LSOChris

Post Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:55 pm

it was more along the lines of if you have been doing security for awhile, you may or may not get that much out of it.

if you are a beginner, for the most part all information is good (unless its not correct)
<<

linuxstarved

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:53 am

Big Bur,

I have been reading hackin9 mag since its first issue. The original articles are not written in english, and the translations can be a little off.  This magazine tends to be very linux heavy, if you are not familiar with linux I recommend http://tuxmagazine.com/ and other sites geared toward novice linux users like http://www.justlinux.com/

Overall the articles will get you thinking and hopefully push your day in a different direction.

I like have a hard copy as well, but you could always print out the latest x posts from eh.net and carry them with you, for reading on the go ;)

Return to Other