Wireless Question..

<<

d3ef

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:03 am

Wireless Question..

OK

i started College last week, and i have my own laptop. i went to a different college last year and was used to free wireless internet all over school. now, wireless is only offered to people who need laptops in there program and have purchased computers from the school. everywhere i go in the school i have wireless signals, but there all locked.

how can i get around this? 3 out of 5 days i have 3 or 4 hour lectures, and i like to google when i take notes for future reference.

someone please, im desperate right now
<<

Negrita

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 am

Re: Wireless Question..

Write a letter to the college administration detailing your situation and why you think you need access to their wireless network, and how you plan to use it. If they agree then they refer you to the IT dept. for them to configure the correct settings on your laptop.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

oasis_inin

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:05 am

Negrita wrote:Write a letter to the college administration detailing your situation and why you think you need access to their wireless network, and how you plan to use it. If they agree then they refer you to the IT dept. for them to configure the correct settings on your laptop.

Thats the right way. Do not think about cracking into network else you'll be in trouble.
Request the college admin. and they'll surely help you.
CISSP, MCSE Sec, Security +
studying for C|EH
<<

0blivi0n

Post Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:52 am

yes ...just ask for authorization, do not try anything that may cause u troubles!
<<

dannioni

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:59 pm

Well,l, if you switch mac adress between sessions and don't brag about it you shuold be albe to get away with it, if you can break the security. But is it worth the risk of being kicked out  of school, i don't think so.
<<

EmanoN

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:46 am

Thats ironic. The "ethical" people here are telling you to contact the admin and get access.  Thats funny because that is exactly what a hacker would do, ha ha.  Unless the security is really weak like wep or wpa or worse yet, simple mac filtering, you wont crack it. So faced with that, the hacker attempts simple social engineering to gain access. Why worry about fancy hacking techniques when the front desk is happy to give up a password, etc... 

Return to Network Pen Testing