My kids school hacked his forum

<<

bigclickit

Post Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:06 pm

My kids school hacked his forum

My 12 year old started a forum last week with his friends.  I found out today that the school disctricts technology department has hacked the forum and copied all the messages.  Can someone tell me if this is against the law?  There had not been any issues with the forum, except the school thought the forum had been used during school hours, which it had not.  The clock for the forum needed to be reset - it was actually in the wrong time zone.
<<

Negrita

Post Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:18 pm

Re: My kids school hacked his forum

How do you know it was hacked? If it is a public forum then they could acess the posts without having to hack it. Did they receive written permission to hack the forum? If not their problems may be a bit larger than you imagine - presuming you can proove it was them.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

bigclickit

Post Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:28 pm

The vice principal of the school proudly told me so this morning.
<<

Negrita

Post Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:09 pm

Does the school own the forum/website/domain name, and do they own the server it's hosted on, or are they owned by you or your son, or by a third party? Do you have witnesses to the conversation between you and the vice-principal?
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

bigclickit

Post Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:40 pm

This was just a forum that he decided to setup on his own time.  Non-school server - free service.  It was supposed to be  place for kids to get help on their homework and talk about stuff.  She told me that she had asked the school's IT department to hack in and make copies of all the messages - private ones included - so that she could make sure that no one was "bashing the teachers".  No other witnesses to the phone conversation, but I'm pretty sure she would admit to it in public because she doesn't seem to realize that there might be something wrong with what she did.  She is referring to some new "legislation" that gives her authority.
<<

LSOChris

Post Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:58 pm

some principal does that to my kid's blog/forum and it gonna be Friggin on up in my hizzle.
<<

bigclickit

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:55 pm

Thank you!  That's what I'm talking about!
<<

Big Bur

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:04 am

ChrisG wrote:some principal does that to my kid's blog/forum and it gonna be Friggin on up in my hizzle.

OH SNAP!
<<

squidmaster

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:33 pm

Wow you should pat your kids back for even knowing how to do that (presuming he had to set up the FTP and PHP by himself, again presuming it was a PHP based board)

But also, that is pretty ****ed up. I would have a little chat with the tech guys. By little chat I mean some brass knuckles and their faces.
<<

matthiasfan

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:47 am

Any kind of hacking without permission is illegal.  I would file a suit against the school and make sure the principal knows about it.  This kind of stuff ticks me off.  They think since it is someone younger, they can do it to them.  IT IS ILLEGAL.
<<

EmanoN

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:41 pm

Ha Ha, you believed what she told you about hacking into your kids forum? I think people here need to go back to social engineering 101, hehe.  Any one can claim to hack into something private as a way to scare people into revealing things or to try and stop certain behavior.  Damn, hackers claim to do that to their girlfriends email accounts all the time just to get a confession.  Unless you see copies of the private messages I would not believe it. Also, I have never met anyone in a school IT department that could hack anything, unless it was something sleazy like a key logger on your kids computer. My cat has a better chance of "hacking" up a hair ball than a school IT department hacking a forum!
<<

d1spat3r

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:39 pm

EmanoN wrote:My cat has a better chance of "hacking" up a hair ball than a school IT department hacking a forum!

Whahaha.  Nicely put. :)
CISSP, GSEC, GCFA
<<

matthiasfan

Post Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:48 am

EmanoN wrote:Ha Ha, you believed what she told you about hacking into your kids forum? I think people here need to go back to social engineering 101, hehe

I think this is all the more reason to go in there and say we will take you to court.  If they actually did hack it, then you would get a true confession either way.
<<

LSOChris

Post Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:19 am

either way, i would have issues with the ethics of that school principal.  she is either a liar or asking people to do illegal activities and i'd make sure her boss knew either way.
<<

muthu22

Post Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:45 pm

I really enjoy to read this forum. its a very interesting with kids. how can you told Can someone tell me if this is against the law? its a wrong. this is very nice funny forum.
------------------
Muthu

New Jobs
Next

Return to Other