Wireless/Bluetooth Keyboard Sniffing?

<<

venom77

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:52 am

Wireless/Bluetooth Keyboard Sniffing?

Hey everyone,

I was just asked by another person on our network team if a wireless/bluetooth keyboard is a security vulnerability.

I've never even considered this and don't have the answer. Does anyone know if it's possible to sniff keystrokes from a wireless/bluetooth keyboard?
<<

Kev

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:16 am

Re: Wireless/Bluetooth Keyboard Sniffing?

Yes its possible, but its not as easy as sniffing wifi. Also, for it to be reliable, the attacker needs to be near by.  Its still in its development stages, but its just a matter of time. In the near future it would be better not to use them  if security is a concern.
<<

jimbob

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:22 am

Re: Wireless/Bluetooth Keyboard Sniffing?

Most wireless keyboard/mouse systems use a proprietary encoding to send the signals to the PC so you'd need to reverse engineer this protocol. Where bluetooth is concerned it's important to note that the signal might be detectable way beyond the stated maximum range, particularly if a directional antenna is used. As well as eavesdropping there is the risk of a malicious user sending forged keystrokes.

I would strongly discourage the use of wireless keyboards if any sensitive information is being transmitted.

Jimbob

Return to Network Pen Testing