A UNIVERSAL HACKER EMBLEM - THE GLIDER

<<

morpheus063

Post Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:53 pm

A UNIVERSAL HACKER EMBLEM - THE GLIDER

Hi Ethical Hackers,

How many of you know about the existence of an Universal Hacker Emblem?

The Linux folks have their penguin and the BSDers their daemon. Perl's got a camel, FSF fans have their gnu and OSI's got an open-source logo. What we haven't had, historically, is an emblem that represents the entire hacker community of which all these groups are parts. This is a proposal that we adopt one — the glider pattern from the Game of Life.

Read More about it here.
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

themadhatter

Post Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:55 pm

Re: A UNIVERSAL HACKER EMBLEM - THE GLIDER

I have known about it for a while.  I first found it while reading this document:

http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

Does anyone know where the Emblem came from in the first place?
Last edited by themadhatter on Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

boney

Post Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:17 am

So should we accept the logo ?
C|EH

All my life I wanted a computer...
Now I want my life back !
<<

morpheus063

Post Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:06 am

The choice is all yours
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

Big Bur

Post Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:50 am

Rrrrroyt...

I've read this article before, and I've been tempted to draw it in various places, but I don't know if many people even use it, or worse, if the cracker community has adopted it.

So basically, what is the status on the emblem? I think it would be cool if more and more hackers used this as an identifying mark. I mean, It would be cool to see a guy wearing a shirt with the glider on it one day (or any emblem representing hackers) and just walk up and be able to talk because of common ground.

Also, what is the status of Raymond? I checked his site the other day and it doesn't seem to have any new information on it or anything.
<<

hitechpo

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:51 am

I like the idea.  What does everybody else think?
CISSP, CEH, NSA-IAM/NSA-IEM, MCSE, A+
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:20 pm

I like the idea but I would like to see a Ethical Hacker Emblem to avoid the crackers association with any symbol.

Brian
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

Big Bur

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:10 pm

slimjim100 wrote:I like the idea but I would like to see a Ethical Hacker Emblem to avoid the crackers association with any symbol.

Brian

This is exactly what I was thinking. Since we can't be sure what has or has not been adopted by script kiddies, we need to create our own. Feel free to start suggesting. I think that a universal ethical hacker symbol is in order, because it's always good to unite under a "flag" of some sort. It can cause the community to grow closer even...
<<

hades_a

Post Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:18 am

I agree. Let's create one from scratch that we know belongs to the EH community and something that everyone can contribute to.

Don, perhaps you could think of an incentive competition to get the new 'flag' off the ground in this forum  ;)

Chris
MCSE 2003:Security, Security+, MCITP:EA
<<

Big Bur

Post Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:21 pm

Alright, well things we know the emblem must be:

1. Simple (so as to be easily reproduced by someone with no artistic talent)
2. Unique
3. Something that crackers would never use
<<

Negrita

Post Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:59 pm

I've known about the glider symbol for a few years now.

Personaly, I think the need to associate to a symbol or emblem is a bit childish. I don't need an emblem to know my own worth, or the worth of the community I belong to. Not adopting an emblem doesn't make me any less a member than someone who has adopted it. I'm sorry for putting a spoke in the wheels of this merry little thread, but I don't see the efficiency, practicality or added value to be gained from this.

Big Bur wrote:3. Something that crackers would never use

There's no such thing. Perhaps you are not familiar with the cracker mentality. If it can be used, then it can be exploited. If it can be exploited then a cracker will use it. If there ever did exist something that a cracker couldn't use, then why should we want to use it?
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

Big Bur

Post Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:25 am

Negrita wrote:I've known about the glider symbol for a few years now.

Personaly, I think the need to associate to a symbol or emblem is a bit childish. I don't need an emblem to know my own worth, or the worth of the community I belong to. Not adopting an emblem doesn't make me any less a member than someone who has adopted it. I'm sorry for putting a spoke in the wheels of this merry little thread, but I don't see the efficiency, practicality or added value to be gained from this.

Big Bur wrote:3. Something that crackers would never use

There's no such thing. Perhaps you are not familiar with the cracker mentality. If it can be used, then it can be exploited. If it can be exploited then a cracker will use it. If there ever did exist something that a cracker couldn't use, then why should we want to use it?

This wasn't meant to be taken so seriously. Had I thought that everyone was going to adopt an official symbol, then I would have done more than posted in a forum about it. Secondly, there is nothing to be gained by an emblem, I just thought it might be cool. The practicality wasn't even a question.

Lastly, I understand the cracker mentality, but I thought that we might make a symbol that they either wouldn't use, or they would distort in some way to counteract our own symbol. I really don't see how they would exploit it even, I mean, what are they going to do? Walk into a convention wearing the "ethical hacker logo" on their shirts and begin running a social engineering operation?
<<

Negrita

Post Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:01 pm

Big Bur wrote:I mean, what are they going to do? Walk into a convention wearing the "ethical hacker logo" on their shirts and begin running a social engineering operation?

Good idea. Some people might be gullable enough to trust someone like that. Who knows - they might even have a little white hat on their head too.  ;)

I was thinking more on the line of using a file of the emblem for ADS or wrapping it with malware and sending it to thousands of people in a spam campaign.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

Big Bur

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:53 am

Ahhh... That might be true, but even if they did do that, wouldn't it only mean something to the ethical hacker. John Doe wouldn't know what our symbol meant if he found it on a file on his computer or in his mail etc...

But still, I get the point, and I hope most of us aren't that gulliable...

Return to Network Pen Testing