Drivecleaner.com

<<

matthiasfan

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:39 pm

Drivecleaner.com

I run Window XP SP2 with Firefox and I am very upset right now.  I was just browsing the web and suddenly I get a pop up that says that I need to have my hard drive scanned.  I click no and it pops up with something that says I have 948 things that need to be erased.  I click cancel, and it tries to download an executable to run.  So I call their technical support and they say that's the advertising department, and it has nothing to do with them.  So I try to send them an e-mail from their site, and found out that unless you have registered with them, you can't send them one. 

My question, is it legal for these companies to do this?  Wouldn't this be intrusion and harassment?

By the way, I was not on any bad sites.  I do not visit them.  The websites I visited today were webmd, my church's, my mail, and a miata forum.  Sorry, just a little upset right now, sorry for the long post.
Last edited by matthiasfan on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

oneeyedcarmen

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:11 pm

Re: Drivecleaner.com

It's those damned Miata drivers!  Everyone thinks it's the Illuminati or the Masons, but we know better, don't we?

In all seriousness, you've raised a valid question.  The same thing happened to me last night (I'm not gonna lie, probably was looking at a bad website  :o)

The fact that they're admitting that it was the advertising department suggests some shady dealings, just in the fact that it's the [shadow=red,left]ADVERTISING DEPARTMENT[/shadow].  (My wife's in advertising...I know how shady they can be.)
Reluctant CISSP, Certified ASS
<<

jimbob

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:15 pm

Hi,
If you know which site sent the pop-up add you could complain to them, noting that this kind high-pressure (and possibly illegal) sales tactics reflect badly on the site hosting the adds. Check your browser history and see if you can identify the site. There's little point contacting the vendor, if they choose unscrupulous methods of advertising their products I doubt they will listen to your complaints, which is probably why they don't publish an email address. If the advert is deliberately misleading you may wish to contact the advertising standards agency in your country to complain.

Invasive pop-ups like this can be a sign that your computer may be infected with malware. You should ensure your anti-virus software is up to date and I'd recommend running an anti-spyware tool such as Ad Aware to check for other malware.

Regards,
Jim
<<

matthiasfan

Post Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:06 pm

Yeah, you know how those miata guys are.  ;)

Anyway, the thing is, I run avg and it's completely up to date, and I also run spybot.  I know spybot isn't the best, but it seems to get the job done, or atleast I thought it was.  I'll try the ad-aware tonight, nothing else to do.  I used to run ad-aware all of the time, but got fed up with it.  It seems to have went downhill since the last edition I had.  Anyway, I'll try it and see what it comes up with.  Thanks for the comments guys.
<<

dalepearson

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:44 am

I have seen the same thing a couple of time recently.
I assumed it was the usual spam rubbish, the most anoying thing is it closed the browser.

I have run a virus and defender scan and all was clean, I guess I should give another piece of spyware a go.

Return to Malware