Got my first cert

<<

Saber123316

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:38 pm

Got my first cert

So I took a certification course (8 months) and got my CNA certification Computer Networkk Administration from NAIT. I live in Edmonton Alberta.

I got a lot of hands on microsoft AD microsoft network infrastructure (DHCP DNS NAT) some soft skills for getting out there. Linux, (I was introduced to FreeBSD by a friend of mine and prefer that). than I got some hands on with Cisco. I must say out of that whole course I enjoyed my 3 week headache with cisco switches and routers. I really enjoyed it as a whole made some good friends and I have contacts in the industry.

Now here is the big question I have just completed 8 months of training. I have zero experience other than class as a admin where do I go from here? The whole class was picked up in a limo and taken to Dell and got a 4 hour propaganda sessions about why Dell is so great. I realize I need to start somehwere I am not expecting to be recruited into a organization and make 35 dollars a hour start. But I really do not want to answer phones and answer questions like "Why doesnt my internet work" "Why won't my computer turn on?" all in all I don't want to be a callcenter agent. the benefits are great its a awesome place to work but its not what I want to do and its not where I want to start as I don;t think I will be using my schooling to its potential. most people gave me a bad look when i said CEH or that I wanted to consult network security. The word Hacker is looked down upon thanks to the media. I just wanna know where I can go from here?

not one to brag but I got 100% on my A+ , Windows XP, Server 2003, Active Directory, and Microsoft Exchange practical exams.
<<

venom77

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:33 am

Re: Got my first cert

Saber123316,

First, congratulations on earning your certificate! Great job!

As you've already stated, you probably won't be able to go find a job starting you out at a high salary. Unfortunately, it will not be easy to find an entry-level job where you'll be able to use all of the skills that you picked up while in school. You may want to try some searching for a junior administrator position, but without some background experience, that path may be difficult.

I would say you could probably try 2 different routes. Since you've done so well on those practical exams, why not try the real things and gain some certifications? You can't go wrong with an MCSA or MCSE. That will also open some more doors for you. The other option would be to find an entry-level position (even if it does mean you need to take on a support type role) to gain some experience.

Many people in this community will tell you "experience is key," and that's absolutely true. More often you'll have a better chance at something if you have real-world experience as opposed to any certification or degree. But it takes some time.

Again, congrats and best of luck :)
<<

jimbob

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:24 am

Hi,
If you're looking for a foothold in the industry consider looking for a job in an academic institution e.g. a university. They usually pay less that the private sector but they tend to be less demanding and therefore more ready to accept someone without as much experience. Write yourself a good resume and apply for jobs you think are slightly over your head. If you get an interview be prepared to show them that you know your stuff.

Good work on getting your certification. This ought to show an employer that you're keen and have done work on your own time to get where you want to go to. Stand by your certification if it's value is questioned in an interview and know your own worth. If you can appear confident this will help bucket loads in convincing a prospective employer that you have the right stuff.

Good Luck,
Jimbob
<<

oneeyedcarmen

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:59 am

Congrats!  That's a great first step.  I know how it feels being in your shoes myself not so long ago. 

Don't look down on the support jobs.  They are a great way to get your foot in the door, and if you're with a good organization, they'll recognize what you're capable of soon enough.  I started on the help desk at the National Aquarium in Baltimore.  They didn't pay much, being a non-profit organization, but the experience I gained more than paid off.  You see, I was lucky enough to be in an organization with a VERY small IT staff (7 of us total), that was more than willing to help me along.  Because of our small staff, I was able to get a lot of hands on.  Everyone pretty much did everything.

Just because the job description says "Help Desk" or "User Support" doesn't necessarily mean that it will be mind numbing.  Look for a spot in a smaller organization, get what you can from it, then turn the corner into something more suited to your career goals.  It won't happen overnight, but I've managed to nearly double my salary in less than three years with some hard work and the fortune of having some fantastic managers who recognized it.
Reluctant CISSP, Certified ASS
<<

amede0

Post Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:42 am

hello guys,
i'm newly CCNA certified also and it's my first cert
i'm starting the CEH study to pass it in 2008 and i really want to work in a security related domain.
do you think it's useful to get the CEH for that?
any advise or tips are welcome
thx in advance
CCNA
<<

Florin

Post Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:50 pm

amede0, congratulations for you CCNA certification! Great job!

C|EH will surely be useful for your goal, but you'll have to have some hands on experience also. C|EH certifies that you have the knowledge of how to do things, not that you are also really capable in hacking. Please note that I say this assuming that you have only networking experience.

If you'll search the forum for a topic named "The value of certs" you'll make yourself a good idea of what I wanted to say.

Another really good course is OSCP, check out the topic related to it in the Certifications section of the forum.
Security+, OSCP, CISM, CISSP
<<

amede0

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:05 am

hello again,
thanks LK for those avices
i just received by post the exam prep book from Michael C Gregg and i saw in it that i need to provide a paper from my employer to prove that i m working in a security related field.
i am currently working as an helpdesk tekkie but i give training about computing security for the norman antivirus support agent. do you think it will be enough or should i find something else??

thx in advance,
CCNA
<<

Florin

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:38 pm

amede0, unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question, but I am sure that if you send an e-mail to E-Council you will have an answer.

I may be wrong, but as far as I know it's not enough to work in a security related field if you choose the self study route, you have to have 2 years of experience in a security field also.
<<

amede0

Post Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:57 am

ok i understand
my problem is that i hack for four years now and i already pentested people who asked me so (not in a work-related field) security is a passion for me and i really want to make it my job
i also form the helpdesk agent for the european support of "norman antivirus"
but we have this project in my company for only one year now
think i should find another job :( lolll
CCNA
<<

Florin

Post Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:15 pm

amede0, if you search the forum you'll find some topics about Hacking for living.

Good luck!

Return to General Certification