Hacker Gets 2 Years for Windows Code

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:45 pm

Hacker Gets 2 Years for Windows Code

'illwill' gets a room with a view with a completely different set of windows.

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- A federal judge Friday sentenced a convicted hacker known as "illwill" to two years in prison for selling the code, or software blueprint, for Microsoft Corp.'s closely guarded Windows programs.

William Genovese, Jr., 29, pleaded guilty last year to one count of unlawful distribution of trade secrets for putting Microsoft's source code for its Windows 4.0 and Windows 2000 programs on his Web site and selling it.

The plea agreement called for a sentence ranging from 10 months to 30 months in federal prison.

"I screwed up," Genovese said in court.

But here's the best part of all...

Microsoft learned February 12, 2004 that portions of the code were released on the Internet. That same day, Genovese offered the source code for sale on his Web site. He received a total of $40 for selling the code to Microsoft investigators.

For full story:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/internet/0 ... index.html

Don
Last edited by don on Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

tmartin

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:35 pm

Re: Hacker Gets 2 Years for Windows Code

I always find it interesting that most "attackers" feel that illwill is being injustly treated. Kinda of the mentality that it's okay to be an electronic Robin Hood: steal from the rich because you're poor (or you just want more).

Of course, it you steal from an attacker, that wouldn't be right. But steal from Gates, no problem. He'll never miss it...

Evidently, illwill has other convictions in his past, and not just theft or computer related. Goes a bit deeper.
<<

LSOChris

Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:08 pm

Re: Hacker Gets 2 Years for Windows Code

i'm sure alot of those hack MS tools on his site helped dig his hole as well. 

i am not saying he was a great guy or anything but it you read "his version" of the story its interesting.  either way it does suck to get 2 years for making 40 dollars.

Return to News from the Outside World