Working on Certs

<<

Root_compromise

Post Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:09 pm

Working on Certs

Just found this site searching around. Glad that their is a community of people who are getting or have their certs and are willing to share with others.

I am a technical school instructor, part time and programmer the other part.

I have my Network+ and Linux+ certs. My question is - Is it better to go for Security+ first before CEH or just skip that one and go on to the CEH?

Thanks for the site and for your answers in advance.
spaces_are_evil
<<

morpheus063

Post Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:14 pm

Re: Working on Certs

Hi Root_compromise,

First of all, let me welcome you on-board EH-Net. Hope we all can learn a lot from your contribution also to the forum.

Answering your question in a single sentence, Security+ can give you a strong foundation on which your can build your CEH and Penetration Testing Career.

Happy Learning,
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

venom77

Post Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:44 am

Hi again,

I should have read this post before replying to the other one, but I think my response will still help out.

As already pointed out, Security+ will provide a solid security foundation to build upon. You can't go wrong with earning your Security+ as it is a well recognized certification. The CEH is still young, but seems to be picking up more respect all the time.

The Security+ and CEH are two completely different certifications though. A Security+ will go through a brief overview of more defensive security, where the CEH is all offensive and (obviously) geared towards ethical hacking/penetration testing.

I tackled the CEH first, but I did read through a Security+ guide prior to taking the course. Did it help? Maybe. It's really hard to say. The CEH courseware and the official CEH review guide is what you want if you're going to study for CEH though. I would recommend reading through the courseware and doing the labs associated with it. When you're ready for the exam, buy the review guide and use that to study for the test.

Hope that provides a little insight and helps to answer your question.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:26 pm

As the others did, let me welcome you to EH-Net. I agree with their comments, so I won't rehash. I'll simply add a little more.

If you plan on doing MCSA or MCSA, Security+ qualifies as an elective. But you have to take a MS exam first in order to be able to apply the Security+ exam. This may help in your decision. If not, then you can do it at any time.

Personally, I would do both. Security+ is meant for the person with little experience, so it is pretty easy. It may be a good first step towards CEH. They cover different areas of security (as mentioned earlier), but doing Security+ first will help you if you feel like you can't step in and pass the CEH right now.

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Root_compromise

Post Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:40 am

I appreciate your comments. As I am fairly new to the security end of things, just trying to see what is out there. I have read up on the various certs and which angles that they are covering. It is sometimes confusing to those who are starting out and many of the certifications state "we are the best".

I appreciate this site coming along at this point and the people in the community helping out and trying to steer me in the right direction.
spaces_are_evil
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:45 am

No prob. You may also find our other site helpful:

Certified Security Porfessional

It doesn't get updated quite as often as this site, but a lot of the info is valid.

Don
<<

Root_compromise

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:07 am

CSP Link

Thanks for the link - I went there but it looks like the site is not maintained or has been abandoned since 2006.  :-[
spaces_are_evil
<<

__v1rg0__

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:34 am

Right the site has not been updated lately!!
<<

Landothor

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:53 pm

Root:
Certainly understand your question... it seems like you could spend the rest of your life getting 'valuable' certs! :o

I have my Security+ and I found it very helpful in getting my C|EH.  Many sections seemed like they were right from the Sec+ documentation.  Also, as others have mentioned here, they are two different certs concentrating though both about security.

I'm glad I have both, as far as I'm concerned.  BUT... a warning!!
I tried self study for Sec+ and for awhile, was starting to wonder if I knew anythang! 

I came across NUMEROUS conflicting statements, until I figured out that I was right and some of these 'experts' were wrong!  I documented a lot of the errors and have even had replied email to me with apologies and that their erroneous statements would be corrected immediately.  So be careful about what material you are studying from (and yes... I'm talking about industry-recommended material, not just some off-beat whitepaper)

ANY way :)  just thought I'd toss in my two bytes!  Good luck on your pursuit!
Lando
MCP, Security+, C|EH
<<

oneeyedcarmen

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:08 am

I'm going to go ahead and agree with most that the Sec+ is a good way to start.  As Landothor mentioned, it is good primer for the C|EH, but also for the CISSP.  I recently took the latter exam (and passed thankfully), but found that my previous studying for the Sec+ was a huge help.

The Sec+ is slightly more technical than the CISSP, but for the most part is a watered down version of it.  Plus, getting the Sec+ takes a year off of the required OTJ experience for CISSP certification.
Reluctant CISSP, Certified ASS
<<

kevinwan

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:22 am

oneeyedcarmen wrote:I'm going to go ahead and agree with most that the Sec+ is a good way to start.  As Landothor mentioned, it is good primer for the C|EH, but also for the CISSP.  I recently took the latter exam (and passed thankfully), but found that my previous studying for the Sec+ was a huge help.

The Sec+ is slightly more technical than the CISSP, but for the most part is a watered down version of it.  Plus, getting the Sec+ takes a year off of the required OTJ experience for CISSP certification.

Hi carmen,

I have a doubt here. Maybe if you can help to clear my doubt.
I understand that CISSP require 5 years of relevant working experience.

I was once taking a CEH training course and happened to get to know a trainer at the computer school. What I learnt from him that it doesn't really require 5 years of relevant working experience but rather just 5 years of working experience in any field and an endorsement from a CISSP professional.

Hope you can answer if the above statement is true.

Regards,
Kevin
<<

oneeyedcarmen

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:35 am

Kevin,

That's not exactly the case.  There was a time when all you really needed was for a CISSP to vouch for you, but in trying to keep the credential competative, the requirements have become much more strict.  You can check them out here.

Basically,

Effective 1 October 2007, professional work experience requirements for the CISSP® will increase from four to five years, and direct full-time security professional work experience will be required in two or more of the ten CISSP® CBK® domains. A new endorsement policy will also be in effect, requiring anyone who passes a CISSP, CAP®, or SSCP® exam to have their qualifications endorsed by another (ISC)² credential holder.
Reluctant CISSP, Certified ASS
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:47 pm

I agree that the requirements have become much stricter for the CISSP. As I pass my CISSP Exam at Chicagocon and I was the lucky guy that got audited. They called all my old employers and also my references. It was a lot of work getting and locating the numbers and documents but I feel this proves that they do take the cert serious. In the end I check out fine and was awarded my CISSP. I feel the certs you decide on working toward are best picked by what your interests are and what kind of job you are looking for. 

Brian
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:58 pm

Probably because you had the goof ball from ethicalhacker.net sign your form. Sure fire way to get audited.  :P

Don

Return to General Certification