Airodump Interface type w/ Broadcom

<<

skyskraper

Post Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:38 am

Airodump Interface type w/ Broadcom

I'm running Aircrack-ng on Windows with a Broadcom chipset using the new driver from WildPackets. When I start Airodump it asks whether I'm using HermesI/Realtek or Aironet/Atheros interface type. It seems to work using either, but the results are totally different. I'm only able to get SSIDs from HermesI/Realtek, but Aironet/Atheros seems to gather many more data packets at a faster rate. Plus, BSSIDs don't match between the two, so even though Aironet/Atheros seems the obvious choice I have no idea where the packets I'm dumping come from. Why is this happening and which should I use? Thanks.
<<

Kev

Post Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:20 pm

Re: Airodump Interface type w/ Broadcom

Thats the problem when you use different drivers and ones that might not be specifically written for the hardware. You will need to analyze your packet capture in both cases and see which provides you with the kind of data you are seeking. If you are trying to crack wep on a certain address, it should be obvious which packet dump will provide the fastest key. 
<<

matthiasfan

Post Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:38 pm

Re: Airodump Interface type w/ Broadcom

Where did you find the drivers for the broadcom chipset.  I was not able to find them on the website.  My hp has the built-in wireless broadcom, and I need the driver.

Return to Network Pen Testing