path to a security job

<<

Spyder

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:13 am

path to a security job

If I get my a+, mcp,mcsa that would make me a network admin and in doing so I would use security everday correct sorry I'm rambling my question is if I get my a+ and my mcsa and such and my security+ would that give me enough security experience to be able to take my ceh exam and after that take my cissp eventually. What I want is to get a broad range in security and to possibly get a job on a tiger team. I will need alot of experience in security to make it to this point. I'm probably being confusing and for that I apologize.sorry one last rant if I get my ceh and my cissp what security certs should I get after that to continue with my security path?
<<

Negrita

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: path to a security job

Hmmmm........  ::) well you're evidently very ambitious, but you have as many errors in your post, as you have misconceptions.

Firstly A+ is an entry level cert that will teach you about hardware and the BIOS, not security. If you want to learn about hardware rootkits and low-level coding, you definately won't get that from A+.

Secondly, MCP and MCSA will make you a Microsoft System Administrator, which does include some security aspects, but is very different from a Network admin.

A system administrator is responsible for the corporate LAN, (workstations and servers), i.e. He/She manages the Active Directory, Domain Controllers, user accounts, rights and priveleges, Services such as DNS, DHCP, RRAS, storage, backups, e-mail, databases, etc.

A network administrator is responisible for the corporate WAN and internet links. His/her responsibilities include configuring and managing routers, switches, firewalls and other network equipment, setting up links like cable, DSL, ATM, Frame Relay, etc. The network admins job includes understanding routing protocols (IGP/BGP), spanning tree, configuring QoS, VPN connections, VLANs, firewall rules, access lists, etc.

Another misconception you mention is that geting the certs will give you experience. This is wrong. Getting a cert only means that you can pass that vendors exam, and even that does not mean that you really understand the subject matter, or that when it comes time for hands-on, that you'll actually know what to do. The only way to get experience is by working hands-on.

If you dream of being on a Tiger Team, I recommend that you get some background in both Microsoft and Linux/UNIX system administraion, and also background in router and firewall administration. Don't run before you can walk. First get some entry level certs and some hands-on experience, and then come back and ask the same question again. By then not only will your perspective have changed on the security market, but your preferences and priorities may have changed too.

P.S. I don't think that there are many certs that a CISSP would want to get in order to advance their careers. It all depends on what interests you and what you want to do with it. As far as advanced level certs go, take a look at  RHCE and CCIE.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

Spyder

Post Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:39 am

thanks for the advice I'm new here and also to the it world. I'm still in school to get my certs,so maybe when  I've got my certs plus  a few years experience then I should come back and ask my question again right?
<<

What90

Post Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:31 am

Hello Spyder,

Negrita pretty much covered everything, but here a couple of other thoughts.

Build yourself a test lab and practice. There are plenty of excellent on line guides and demos to build you skills and experience. Once you get an idea of where you strengths and weakness lie, then you can work on certification in those areas.

Remember, certs get you into an interview, experience helps get the job ;-)

This might be helpful:

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... ic,1497.0/
<<

Negrita

Post Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:04 pm

Spyder wrote:thanks for the advice I'm new here and also to the it world. I'm still in school to get my certs,so maybe when  I've got my certs plus  a few years experience then I should come back and ask my question again right?

Don't get me wrong  :o  I wasn't saying don't post here until you got some certs and experience. My intention was that you get the basic certs and experience before you start thinking about the advanced ones, in the same way that you'd think about a bachelors degree before you get your masters and doctorate.

What I meant by your priorities and perspective changing once you've got some certs and experience, is that once you're in the field you may find that your true calling is to be a Linux system admin, a DBA or a technical writer and your Tiger Team dream might be put on a back burner.

I think that reading all the posts and articles here and actively participating will only benefit you. Please don't dissappear until you get some certs and experience.

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

Spyder

Post Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:56 am

thank you everyone for all the advice. I guess I'm just trying to jump the gun. I think the idea of security is fascinating and right now I feel like I'm stuck in a rut. I just don't want to have to wait for a hand up. But thanks again for all of the advice. oh I forgot to say I downloaded backtrack 2 and I'm in the process of setting up a vmware server to use it. I also bought a book of slackware and I will be going tomorrow to get a book on freebsd mainly because I'm tired of windows crashing. I'm going to break it down my school that I'm going to is centriq foss training center and I go for four months when I get out I get my a+,mcp,mcsa,net+. So basically the school is a bunch of boot camps stuck together to form a career track.
Last edited by Spyder on Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Ashu

Post Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:32 pm

well i m also new on forum....i m thinking of doing CCNA  n i just finished my MASE(manipal appin Security Expert) cert course pls tell me is CCNA is a good course to do for networking and routers purpose???
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:53 am

I think the CCNA is a good place to start and do not underestimate the CCNA as it is not the easiest exam to pass unless you have studied. I would also recommend Network+ as the 1st network or routing cert before taking the CCNA. You could also look at the juniper certs too.

Brian
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

Negrita

Post Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:45 pm

Don't forget Nortel Networks. I did my studies with Nortel and they were excellent and I learned loads. I did my NNCSS on the Nortel Passport 8600 which is the equivalent of a Cisco 6500. I later did an Cisco ICND course which was also very good but didn't live up to the Nortel studies by far.

On the other hand you can't go wrong with a CCNA. You'll learn a lot and there's definately a demand for CCNA in todays market.

Return to General Certification