Forensic images from floppy disks

<<

jimbob

Post Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:10 pm

Forensic images from floppy disks

Hi,
Since more and more computers are being shipped without floppy disk drives, how are people making evidence images of floppy disks? I know there are USB floppy drives on the market (they were very popular when the iMac first hit the market), but do these require drivers?

Ideally I'd like to be able to take a dd image of a disk on a linux system, but if USB drives require special drivers will they work? if they appears just like any other USB mass storage device then I guess that's OK. Also, are any of the drives limited by the disk format? Some floppy drives I recall would not read the specially formatted 2.88Mb disks. I doubt I will ever see one, but if I am going to shell out for a drive I'd like one that does everything.

Regards,
Jimbob
<<

Kev

Post Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:02 pm

Re: Forensic images from floppy disks

The few usb floppy drives I have used have just plugged right in and were recognized immediately by XP pro without having to install additional drivers. I dont use them anymore simply because my usb thumbdrive does as much and more. Infact, I can run larger and better forensic tools  from my thumbdrive.
Last edited by Kev on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Forensics