Windows Vista.

<<

boney

Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:05 pm

Windows Vista.

Do u recommend using free firewalls on Vista ?
I mean the one like trial versions, sharewares,Free FTP Manager (exe) ?
C|EH

All my life I wanted a computer...
Now I want my life back !
<<

blackazarro

Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:49 pm

Re: Windows Vista.

If you're considering a free firewall, why not use the firewall that comes with Vista. From what I've read, Microsoft really enhanced it and it's now a stateful host-based firewall that supports filtering for both inbound and outbound traffic (as oppose to Windows XP SP2 FW) plus some extra features, awesome!

Enhancements in the new Windows Firewall

The new Windows Firewall in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 has the following enhancements over the current Windows Firewall in Windows XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003 SP1:
• Supports filtering for both incoming and outgoing traffic
• New Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in for graphical user interface (GUI) configuration
• Firewall filtering and Internet Protocol security (IPsec) protection settings are integrated
• Rules (exceptions) can be configured for Active Directory® directory service accounts and groups, source and destination IP addresses, IP protocol number, source and destination Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) and User Datagram Protocol (UDP) ports, all or multiple TCP or UDP ports, specific types of interfaces, Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) and ICMP for IPv6 (ICMPv6) traffic by Type and Code, and for services.

Check the following link for more info:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/commun ... g0106.mspx
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

jimbob

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:10 am

From what I have read Windows Vista firewall is a real step up from the one provided with previous version of windows.

The only reason I've heard for not using it is to avoid malware that may try to disable it. There is a chain of thought, which I don't subscribe to I might add, that says installing a 3rd party firewall will help avoid attacks aimed at the huge, homogeneous windows install base out there.

Jim
<<

boney

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:05 am

Well i dont want to use the vista firewall.
reason, it comes along with the OS and could be cracked.
C|EH

All my life I wanted a computer...
Now I want my life back !
<<

jimbob

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:17 pm

boney wrote:Well i dont want to use the vista firewall.
reason, it comes along with the OS and could be cracked.

Along with any other software you choose to install. There is a lot of malware out there that targets 3rd party firewalls as well as windows firewall.

Jim

Return to Opinions