Was it difficult for anyone else?

<<

Barclay

Post Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:32 pm

Was it difficult for anyone else?

I'm having a hard time getting started learning to hack.  I've learned the programming language C++ and a little bit of Python.  I know HTML, and I've got a grasp of Javascript.  However, I cannot seem to figure out how to start learning to hack.  I've even installed a distro of Linux because I hear that's what you should do  :)  If yall have any advice I would really appreciate it.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:03 pm

Re: Was it difficult for anyone else?

Welcome to EH-Net. I'm sure you'll find plenty of people willing to help.

Let me start by saying that you have a great start on your foundational knowledge of programming. Now we need to get you up to speed on networking. Do a search on this site for TCP/IP and you'll find many resources including:

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... pic,370.0/

Hope this helps get you on your way,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Barclay

Post Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:40 pm

Awesome, thanks.  I don't even know what TCP/IP and had no clue it was important to hacking.  Thanks again.
<<

Negrita

Post Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:18 am

Hi Barclay and welcome.
To hack you have to understand the basics of networking. In any network there have to be 3 basic components; a client, a server and a protocol. For example you asked a question here, so you are the client. I am answering you (giving you a service), so I am the server. The protocol we are using to communicate is the English language.

The art of hacking means that you tweak these 3 components to get the maximum out of them, and so that they do what you want them to do (which is not necessarily what they were originally meant to do). If you (the client) were to ask me different questions or to change the syntax of your questions, you will get different answers from me (the server).

You can't tweak something until you understand how it's supposed to work in the first place. Different types of servers may react differently to the same request (different OS's or different applications). For example you asked one question yet you get 2 different answers - one from Don and one from me.  ;) Also you have to understand how to troubleshoot - if you ask me a question in English and I answer you in another language, or don't answer at all, you must figure out if this is a client, server or protocol issue.

In modern networks, the most popular protocol is TCP/IP. Don has posted a link for more info. I also recommend that you read through this sample chapter from Michael Greggs' CEH study guide.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

What90

Post Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:53 am

Hello Barclay,

Asking questions is the best way to start and continue learning.  :)

I'd pick one Operating System (OS) to start from (Windows, Linux etc) and get comfortable with it. Understand how it’s put together, then play with a small network. You can use Vmware http://www.vmware.com/download/player/
or Ms Virtual Pc http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... fault.mspx to practice building and play with.

I like to think that knowing how to protect an OS is an excellent way to learn their strengths and weaknesses. This is a great place to start reading http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/OSguides.htm

Good luck!
<<

Barclay

Post Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:47 am

Thanks guys.  I'll check out all of those.
<<

Otter

Post Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:31 am

Barclay wrote:I'm having a hard time getting started learning to hack.  I've learned the programming language C++ and a little bit of Python.  I know HTML, and I've got a grasp of Javascript.  However, I cannot seem to figure out how to start learning to hack.  I've even installed a distro of Linux because I hear that's what you should do  :)  If yall have any advice I would really appreciate it.

If you know C and are interested in getting down to some specifics, give the book the Shellcoder's Handbook a look.  You'll find it extremely interesting. 

You will find that Linux distro very handy for the compilation and debugging environment it affords and all the tools available for it in the hacking realm. 

Return to Network Pen Testing