EH-Net Hits Milestone of 3000 Members

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:21 am

EH-Net Hits Milestone of 3000 Members

Just wanted to share my excitement over the community we have formed over the past 2 years. Thus far we have assembled an impressive group who not only fall into the professional category of InfoSec but also one that perfectly helps push the vision I had for this site. Here's a few highlights:

1. When a new member posts for the first time, it feels like members race to welcome them to the community and offer help. This makes it a very welcoming place.
2. Members of all experience levels are never made to feel like they're asking a stupid question. We're human and we can't be expected to know everything about every subject. That's why we're here, so I greatly appreciate the lack of flaming for newbie questions.
3. All members take to heart the name and intention of the site - the 'Ethical' Hacker Network. We could easily flame those who ask blatantly obvious questions and be done with it. But the EH-Net Community goes the extra step. If someone shows signs of either being part of or leaning towards the dark side, we not only tell them why their wrong, but try our best to bring them over to the good side. That's impressive.

Now it's your turn. Tell us why you joined, what you appreciate most about the community, and, of course, what we could do to make things better.

Many thanks to you all,
Don

PS - Would it be too much to ask this to also be a call to action to spread the good word of EH-Net to those far and wide? Tell your friends, co-workers, classmates, other portals and forums... As most of you know, I know how to return a favor (he says with his index finger bouncing on his temple). Forgive yet another Godfather reference. ;)
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

venom77

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:27 pm

Re: EH-Net Hits Milestone of 3000 Members

Well, guess I'll start this off :)

I was searching for information specifically regarding the CEH certification, what it was all about, the pro's and con's of the certificate itself, etc. A post made by a member came up in my search results and brought me to this site for the first time. The post was pretty interesting and had several replies to it, with various viewpoints and so forth. I found it an interesting read and explored a little more of the website, looking at the different descriptions on the certifications page.

I left it at that for the time being and continued on my searching for information. A couple more times I came across links that were referencing posts made here by EH-Net members, and then finally I saw Don post his excellent CEH class review in the EC-Council Portal. That was about when I decided that this site was different from some of the other forums I've been to and that there are quite a few very knowledgeable people always posting, so I took the step to register ;D

Then I started digging through the forums, and posting questions, and now I'm here :)

I came to this site with no certifications and now have several. And although I'm a little behind on my track of where I wanted to be due to some stuff that's come up and finances (self-funded) for courses, this community has definitely been extremely helpful in the information that everyone provides. Thank you all! And a special thanks to Don for everything he's done for this community and all of its members! :)
<<

Kev

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:02 pm

I found this site via google about a year ago and have been trying to be as active as my time allows.  I feel this site is unique and I believe in its concept. It is the only forum dealing with these topics that people get good answers and never get flamed. If this forum disappeared, it would be a huge loss.
<<

Negrita

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:59 pm

I originally found Certified Security Proffesional magazine back in early 2005 when I was looking for some info about security certs to post on another forum where I moderate. I originally started to post on CSP, and came accross EH-Net quite by accident. Yet again I'd been searching for info on ethical hacking. At that time I didn't know that the 2 sites were related to each other. I was the 3rd person to register here, and back in those days the site was a luminous green colour (if my memory serves me right (Don can correct me)), and had a main page with 4 or 5 tabs, most of which linked to empty pages, and 1 page said something laconic like "this page will soon have more information about ethical hacking".

I originally gave Don some advertising for CSP on my other forum and many of the members there came over to CSP including; dengar13, pcsneaker, Cymric_Knight, Eric, o2brch, twin$ and others, and some of them came here to EH-Net too.  :D

I too like the atmosphere here, the will to help newbies and not flame them, and the quality of members here just keeps getting better and better. I'm here mostly for the forum, but if I said I didn't read the articles, columns and other features here my nose would probably grow long.
Last edited by Negrita on Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

What90

Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:46 am

Word of mouth got me here.
I was talking to classmates while taking the GCIH course at a SANS conference and asking for good resources. They point me here.

For me this is great opportunity to listen, learn and ask questions.

It's wonderful to have a friendly and open forum to keep the mind sharp and tracking the multitude of issues in the ever changing security world.
<<

oneeyedcarmen

Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:45 pm

I'm pretty new to the field, having been in the IT field in general for about two years.  I took a course at Johns Hopkins University that was presented by Joe McCray of Learn Security Online and soon joined his site.

After seeing that Chris Gates and Craig Hefner were regular contributors to EH-Net, and checking out their articles, I found myself checking this site each day as part of my routine.

As a relative newbie, I was very timid to post for the first time, as I'd seen so many others get flamed on other forums.  I soon realized that things were different here.  I've learned quite a bit from the other members, either directly, or just by reading through the forum archive.

Keep up the good work, guys and girls, and thanks for having me.
Reluctant CISSP, Certified ASS

Return to News Items and General Discussion About EH-Net