CEH Test - Am I Screwed?

<<

Nixxon2000

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:50 pm

CEH Test - Am I Screwed?

Ok,

So i kinda want to know how screwed I am.... I am just about to attend a CEH boot camp (global net training). I have NO certifications at all. This will be my first. I have been a Network Admin for about 3 years and been a "geek" for many more then that. So as the subject says am I screwed? Is this a total waist of time?

I will admit I am very book smart however, I learn better in a classroom setting. I have a CEH-Test Prep Book and have been reading it for about 2 months now and watched a CEH video on vtu.com.

I have never used Unix/Linux and am not a programmer. I am great with Win NT - 2k3 and Windows Security. I have also been studying law for about 2 years now so I know cyberlaw.

So, what are my chances of passing this. BTW its a CEH/CHFI test combo class.
Thanks and please be gentle.  :(
CEH
Trust No One!
<<

LegioX

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:07 am

Re: CEH Test - Am I Screwed?

Hi and welcome!

You sound like the sort of person who likes to learn. These people generally do very well in whatever they set their minds too.
I think you will be fine.

Get a few more books and read as much as you can from as many different sources as you can.
Very critical for this exam is hands-on practical. Get a copy of VM Ware and set a few virtual machines with different OS's and practice what you are reading about.
I would also advise you to setup Ubuntu on one of these virtual machines. Some of the test is Linux-based and this is the easiest flavour of Linux for newbie’s. Install some apps, configure various settings and see for yourself that it's not all that hard. Try to become familiar with the different commands and options available. Then format it and set it up again!

As for the exam itself, it is a little worrying that you haven’t done any certifications before. Tests can be stressful, especially if you are new to them. Study hard. Go into the exam confident and know your materials, then you'll be fine. As far as exams go, CEH is an intermediate level exam, so it will be hard but not too hard.

Hope this helps!
MCSE & MCSA : Security (2003), A+, Network+, Security+, CEH, CCNA, JNCIA-FMW
<<

archtctfr

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:10 am

I will add that I agree with the above and wish you luck. I think that first cert is the most difficult. Having taking the CEH several versions ago, at this point not taking and yet considering the CHFI. The tests have changed. I just completed the LPT and from the class the people who had just completed their CEH thought it was a good test and very similar. All you can do is the best you can. Study, practice and then light your hair on fire and run around in cirlces. Some of the test is too put on some pressure. Some how it seems sometimes they like to see us sweat. At this point I have been though several of them and each one makes me wonder why I am doing this again. Just relax, stay as calm as possible. You either know it or you don't. Remember it is your first and nodoubt there will be others. It just gets expensive taking the test again. The boot camps are good to prepare. Good Luck!
archtctfr CISSP LPT CEH ECSA
<<

Nixxon2000

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:19 am

Thank you both for your comments. I am reading/re-reading the couple books I have. There is a flash card program that came with one of the books and that seems to be helping.

I don't tend to stress easy so I am just going to be calm and try the best guess approach on the answers that I do not know.

Thanks again for the encouragement. I take the test a week from Saturday so I will post my results.

Anymore comments are greatly appreciated.
CEH
Trust No One!
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:45 am

You'll do fine. As mentioned above, these are intermediate certs, so you should have no worries. As I have been quoted numerous times before...

Certifications are a good baseline of knowledge and not an indication of expert status.

Welcome to EH-Net, and we look forward to hearing of your progress,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Kev

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:56 am

Remember its multiple questions and no actually hands on ability will be tested, so the more surface knowledge you have the better. Keep reading the material you have and do your practice tests.  It doesn't really matter if you pass the test this time considering how new you are to it. Study hard and do your lab work and I promise no matter the results you will feel it was a worth while experience. If you have to take the test a second time, no big deal and you will ace it for sure. Good Luck!
<<

Nixxon2000

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:28 am

Thank you all so much! This is the most supportive forum that I have ever been apart of. Pass or Fail I will continue to post on this forum. This is the best resource I have ever seen for this kind of thing. To bad I just found it last night :-)
CEH
Trust No One!
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:33 am

Thanks for the compliment. If I may be so bold... spread the word to your classmates, and if you ever look at attending more bootcamps, take a look at ChicagoCon. That is our security training event.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Nixxon2000

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:38 am

Without a doubt! I actually just checked to see how much Vacation time I have.  I am going to be sure to tell everyone about this site.
Last edited by Nixxon2000 on Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CEH
Trust No One!
<<

Nixxon2000

Post Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:45 pm

So I start my "boot camp" Monday. Does anyone know of a good site that I can check out to help me along. I know I will get a lot of information but I would also like something that I can do online. I just found out my hotel has free Internet so I think that will help me out. You guys are the best!
CEH
Trust No One!
<<

Kev

Post Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:01 pm

Hmm, well you can try LearnSecurityOnline.com.  The interesting thing about taking the test is you will be online when you do it and have a browser.  Get good at google!  Learning to google is crucial to being a hacker. Google how to google, LOL! 
;)
<<

Nixxon2000

Post Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:44 pm

??? am I allowed to search for the answers while I take the test????
CEH
Trust No One!
<<

LSOChris

Post Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:17 pm

unless they just changed something...no
<<

Kev

Post Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:11 pm

Perhaps I should clarify.  Before you take the test, study on line. Most of your questions will be answered. So much is available on the net.  I have been told you can even find plans on building a nuke! So get good at google. Thats it.
<<

Nixxon2000

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:38 am

Thank for clearing that up! I thought that's what you meant but hey I had to ask right! :-)
CEH
Trust No One!
Next

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker