Working towards a pen'testing career

<<

Morello

Post Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:16 pm

Working towards a pen'testing career

Hello everyone at Ethical Hacker, i am a student currently doing my A levels and am soon to start my second year. I have been interested in network security for a while now and particuly Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures, and Penertration Testing.

I would like to pursue this as a career but im lost as to where to start or where to go. I am currently doing my CCNA, Computing and physics. I was looking at going to university to do my CCSP to then start work and getting experience needed for Network+ and Security+ to then go on to do further needed qualifications.

What i would like to know is some of the paths you took and any qualifications you found you needed to get into this career. Any advice is apreciated.

Thanks
<<

Negrita

Post Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:51 pm

Re: Working towards a pen'testing career

Hello and welcome.  :)
Personally I think you're doing this the wrong way around. Try doing Network+ first to learn some TCP/IP, and then Security+. After that do your CCNA and CCSP. If you want to get into pen testing you might want to study some OS's such as doing MCSA or MCSE and also Linux+.
Last edited by Negrita on Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:45 pm

I totally agree with Negrita. Network+, Security+, them CCNA. You should learn the basics of networking and TCP/IP before diving into the CCNA.

Brian
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

Morello

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:21 am

well the CCNA was offered to me to do instead of an A level at my current school so im already a good way through
<<

What90

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:05 am

I'd stick with the CCNA. I've always though it's an excellent path into networking. Obviously very vender focused, but the do have market share on the Internet's hardware...

I'd then look at + type courses and MCP in Xp/Vista for a solid general background knowledge.

Studying those courses would give you a real feel of where your strenghts and interest lie.

A word of caution on the CCSP track. I've interview a few folk new to IT with impressive qualifications and no real experience.

Cisco training isn't cheap and employers would ask you why you did it and why don't you want to continue to be a Cisco Network guy. Unless assessing Cisco networks is what you want to do.
Pix's and ASA's aren't cheap either if you want to build test labs at home.
If you can work part time with Cisco kit, that will go a long way in future interviews.

Return to Other