[Article]-Product Review: GFiLANguard NSS 8

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:48 pm

[Article]-Product Review: GFiLANguard NSS 8

For those of you who know Brian, he is a very selfless person. So when I asked him to write a review of GFiLANGuard, he immediately asked if he could test the software for a non-profit organization. That says it all.

Permanent Link: [Article]-Product Review: GFiLANguard NSS 8

By Brian Wilson, CCNA, CCSE, CCAI, MCP, Network+, Security+, JNCIA

I recently was asked to test drive GFiLANguard Network Security Scanner (N.S.S.) 8.0 and write my findings. GFi describes LANguard as having the ability to "check your network for possible security vulnerabilities by scanning your entire network for missing security patches, service packs, open shares, open ports, unused user accounts and more." Having known about this product for quite some time but never getting my hands on it, I was excited as I had the perfect idea for testing its described capabilities.

I immediately contacted the Director of a local non-profit organization, and asked if they would be willing to be my test bed for this network security auditing tool. After explaining my intentions, they were very happy to open their doors and be a gracious host. And, considering that GFi was kind enough to extend the temporary licenses to a full year for every copy of the software for the non-profit, they were thrilled to be selected as our site of choice.

To give you a brief background on the non-profit, they are a home for disadvantaged youth and orphans while also providing family services to children. They have a main location with 200 workstations, 8 servers with varying duties, and 5 remote offices connected to the main location via Layer 2 VPNs. Due to being a non-profit where funding is very limited, their team consists of only two Network Administrators. Since I have assisted them in the past with lots of volunteered time and services, I was very aware of the network design and need for help. This network was pieced together over time with whatever was on hand or donated, so there are many different versions of Windows and other OSs on the network. Also, the remote offices are hundred of miles from the main campus, so patch and update management is done when time permits. The two current Network Administrators are self-taught and mainly care about the mission of their organization and not the little money they get paid. Now that I have painted a picture of this network and how it is maintained, I will roll into how the LANguard software was tested and received by the local staff on their network.

Be sure to leave your own comments about the product or feedback on Mr. Wilson's review.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Kev

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:12 am

Re: [Article]-Product Review: GFiLANguard NSS 8

Very well done review in content and style. I have been a long time fan of the GFiLANguard scanner and thats why I posted it into the tool section a while back.  I believe it usually shows up in the top 100 tools voted by nmap users. If  the price is not a problem, I always recommend it to an over worked Admin. Nessus is great of course but the way you can install patches,etc right from the scanner makes it extremely handy.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:31 am

Both Brian and GFi deserve kudos for this effort. Help get the word out by digging this story:

http://digg.com/security/GFi_Shows_Big_ ... Non_Profit

Thanks,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

venom77

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:29 am

Excellent write-up. You've highlighted some things here that I didn't know about GFi and will most definitely be taking a closer look at it now.

Return to Wilson