Which linux is best *again*

<<

jimbob

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:12 pm

Which linux is best *again*

Hey guys,
I know this has been done to death, but can anyone recommend a good linux distro for hacking? I tend to use Backtrack, either as a live CD or installed on VMware, but what I'm looking for is something with a bang up to date package repository. Do any of the existing mainstream distros have a package source dedicated to the latest security tools? I'm getting frustrated with how quickly my Backtrack install is getting out of date.

Jim
<<

Kev

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:44 pm

Re: Which linux is best *again*

I still feel Ubuntu is the way to go. It has a good list of security programs you can directly download, which makes it very easy. Metasploit 3 works fine if you download the proper ruby packages and those packages are all available as a simple download from the on board download manager. With just a small effort you can duplicate most of Backtrack and have the advantage of much more flexible linux distro with way more support. Thats been my experience so far.
<<

venom77

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:49 pm

I don't know that you'll be able to find exactly what you're looking for, at least from the sounds of it. You're likely in all cases going to need to add/update some packages to whichever distro you end up going with.

The other thing you should consider, is do the older versions do what you need them to do? If they work, then what's really the problem? I guess it's nice to have the most up-to-date stuff and all, but if they're really going to give you the same results (considering the older version does), then I don't see any need to go through the extra work of upgrading until it's absolutely needed. Just my thoughts anyway...
<<

dean

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:41 pm

yup, done to death ;D

Personally I run Gentoo as my auditing laptop. It's built with only the tools I need and nothing else. Emerge is a great package manager too. It's easy to upgrade and does not suffer from the "bloat" of some of the "easier" to install distros which makes it fast.

Depending on the client I might run a custom BT off a USB stick (4gb partitioned) as often I hand that in with the report. It has all the data that was gathered during the engagement too. Makes them happy.

Most of my servers are either Redhat Enterprise 3/4 or Solaris though if that helps.

--dean
<<

jimbob

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:51 am

Thanks for the replies, and sorry to beat this dead horse one more time. I guess I'm looking for a package repository for bleeding edge tools. If one does not exist, maybe I'll create one for my favorite distros :-)

Jim
<<

bharatborar

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:31 am

The Best one like is piece of art : SUSE Linux 10.2  ;D
<<

Otter

Post Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:26 pm

jimbob wrote:Thanks for the replies, and sorry to beat this dead horse one more time. I guess I'm looking for a package repository for bleeding edge tools. If one does not exist, maybe I'll create one for my favorite distros :-)

Jim

Gentoo's portage is awfully good about packages being out there that are bleeding edge, particularly for hacking, and  particularly if you run ~x86 ("experimental")  for the packages of interest (portage.keywords if memory serves).

Because Gentoo like to compile from source (which is quite slick), it's not something you'll be terribly happy with as a vmware guest though, depending on the speed of your machine in the event you need to chunk through big packages like window managers and the like.

Return to Network Pen Testing