Dateline: To Catch an ID Thief

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:10 pm

Dateline: To Catch an ID Thief

Here's the link to NBC Television's program Dateline that did a year-long international story on identity theft named To Catch an ID Thief. Watch live chat sessions, thiefs maxing out dummy stolen credit cards within minutes of being offered online, phishing, and more. Interesting stuff.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17805134/

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:20 pm

Re: Dateline: To Catch an ID Thief

This is a 2 parter each an hour long. I set my DVR to record them both, and finally got to watching them. I watched the first hour and then posted the above because it seemed very interesting. The host/investigator was flying around the world making all of the links in the chain visible to the viewer.

I just finished watching the second hour, and, like all stories dealing with cyber criminals, I was very dissappointed. Lots of details were uncovered, but in the end, no arrests were made. I still highly recommend watching this expose if you get the chance as it pears into how the scam is done and (pardon me politically incorrectness) how dumb Americans can be. All that they left us was a promise by law enforcement that they're working on it. Not to fault law enforcement, but this is an international problem where they have no jurisdiction. What can we do?

Warning: Soap Box Time!

Maybe this can be the start of a great article/novel on the Decline of Western Civilization Begins with the Dumbing Down of America. Now you see why I could never be a politician. Instead, maybe we can do our little part in the world by warning people and educating them even if it falls on deaf ears. A good cause is worth shouting about even if no one hears you.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME

Return to Mass Media