Conferences - reasonably priced?

<<

p0et

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:39 pm

Conferences - reasonably priced?

I'm in my 20's and a Helpdesk Technician as a few of you know by now.  I just switched positions at work and have a horrible boss now. He is willing to pay for 1 attempt on certification exams (if I bug him enough), but don't think he'll keep a straight face if I ask him/the company to pay admission to an IT Security conference.  Most of these conferences have been pretty pricey at well over $1000 for admission alone. 

Can anyone recommend some good conferences in N. America where admission is actually affordable if paying on your own?  (besides Def Con)

I've been wanting to attend one for quite a while now and see so many conferences popping up now.

Thanks!  :D
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE
<<

oleDB

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:58 am

Re: Conferences - reasonably priced?

Depending on what city you live in, there should be free conferences year round. Mind you these don't have the big keynote addresses or major vulnerability releases like the big ones ( Blackhat, SansFire, RSA, Shmoocon, InfoSec, etc). The down side of the free ones is that, they are completely vendor driven and might not be that useful/educational. When I used to have a stingy manager, I would go the ITEC which is usually free if you register through a vendor. Like I said ITEC is kinda lame, but its free, and it gets you outta the office for a day to network. They have paid tracks that are reasonably priced. I took the security one once and it was somewhat ok.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:57 am

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for, but there are always exceptions to the rule. Here are a few:

Look at Information Security Decisions. Great stuff, excellent keynoters (including Bruce Schneier) and it's free. I'm told by the people who run this event, that although the 2007 info is up on their site, it's not quite ready for prime time and items are due to change. Keep that in mind as you peruse the site:

http://infosecurityconference.techtarget.com/

Another good option is to look out for vendor sponsored events. I went to one put on by Guidance Software and NetWitness. It was a full day of forensics coverage. Of course you have to understand that they will press their products. Nothing is for free. But it was very educational. Companies often have a road show of half-day to full-day events. Keep your eyes open.

Microsoft also does a lot of them. Look for their launch events where you usually get copies of software for free and access to experts. Use them. Sit down and talk to them as much as you can. Microsoft even offers free training if you go to one of their (or partner's) offices. Look through their event site. Punch in your location and up comes all kinds of stuff at:

http://www.microsoft.com/events/AdvSearch.mspx

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

oleDB

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:48 am

Oh yeah I forgot about the MS ones. The best thing about those is you always get free software. I think the last one here they gave out the newest Exchange server for free to attendees.
<<

p0et

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:20 pm

Thanks a lot, guys!  I'll definately have a look at your suggestions.

Just to let ya know, I'm in sunny Edmonton, AB Canada.
<<

What90

Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:14 am

On the SANS conferences, you can throw your hat in to be a volunter.
If you are accepted, you'll spend the week being a goffer for the needs of the SANS staff, but I found it to be great fun, got to meet many people, plus have an exam attempt thrown in.

So far, SANS training has been the most comprehensive I've taken and highly recommend it.

Have a read of the link below:
http://www.sans.org/training/volunteer.php
<<

morpheus063

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:10 am

Thats a great compilation of links. The SANS one posted by What90 is a really good one. The only thing you need is to register (free account) and fill out their form / application.

Does anybody have information on security events in and around NJ (except Microsoft) for Jun - Aug 07
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

p0et

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:57 pm

What90, thanks for the SANS idea.  I already did that once for SANS in Vancouver. I volunteered for their GCIH course, wrote and passed the exam when I got home. It was a great opportunity but I still had to pay $500US to be a volunteer, so I don't recall it being free. The SANS courses are all usually at least a week in length too and I can only afford to go without work/pay for a couple days max.
<<

What90

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:42 am

p0et,

You are correct, but the $500 for a week is in the long term an excellent pay off for future employment and some

The only way I know of cheap attendance of events is to be part of the set up crew, crash on the floor of someone how lives in the area of a Con or know the event organisers. The folks in the States and some parts of Europe have all the luck with the Cons.  :)

For those of us in the outer reaches, or on a budget ;) have a look at local users groups, eg Windows, Snort, Linux etc. They're free and some great passionate people are there. They may not have the scope of the security cons but they can be just instructive.
<<

LSOChris

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:16 am

Manu Zacharia - aka - The Morpheus wrote:Thats a great compilation of links. The SANS one posted by What90 is a really good one. The only thing you need is to register (free account) and fill out their form / application.

Does anybody have information on security events in and around NJ (except Microsoft) for Jun - Aug 07

they do HOPE in NYC, that is supposed to be decent.  NYC may be close or far depending on what part of jersey you are in though.

Return to General Certification