First Step to Cert

<<

Malachai

Post Wed May 30, 2007 1:53 am

First Step to Cert

Hello all,

I wanted to get some feedback on a couple of things from you out there regarding cert.
A little about me. I been working in the I.T field for about 8 yrs ... Mostly doing help desk, building computers and loading software. I know that's not much but I have learned over the yrs how to build a network, and trouble shoot the computer and other devices.

I'm looking to get into Security... The kind of security I would like to be in is finding holds or attacks, plus also being able to defend the machine. I was thinking of learning networking, and other stuff.

I don't hold a degree or any cert. I have taken some course here and their to get an idea of what I want. I just bought myself the MCSE cert since my company just moved into MS network. They want me to get cert for that since I'm the backup.

Do you guys think is would be a good stepping stone towards security?

I read on the board that some people dont have to take the A+ or networking because they done it already and understand it. I think I'm one of those.

Any option or feedback would be great. Sorry for the long post.

--Malachai--
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Wed May 30, 2007 7:50 am

Re: First Step to Cert

Malachai,

I would recommend you start with your Network+ & Security+ to build a solid foundation and from there you will have a better idea of what is next.

Brian
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

Malachai

Post Wed May 30, 2007 7:18 pm

Thank you for the reply back. Right now I'm reading a book called "network security First-step' it's by Tom Thomas ciscopress.com

Like it so far, tonight I'm going to build my network since I have 2 extra computers.... What OS should I load on them? I'm running XP right now, I have a trial ver of server 03, I was also thinking about building a Fedora box.
<<

hackly66

Post Thu May 31, 2007 4:49 am

Welcome and good luck in your studies I have a site that I have been practicing maybe this can help you much more and its free check this link-http://www.proprofs.com/certification/comptia/ 8)
A+,Net+,Sec+
<<

Malachai

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:16 am

Thank you very much for the link I will have to check it out.

-Malachai-

Return to General Certification