Various problems and searches

<<

Kevan

Post Mon May 14, 2007 9:51 pm

Various problems and searches

OK-I know I haven't been on in a while, but school got even more hectic...

I am having a problem with nmap-I scan an IP and it always (no matter if the computer is in my network) says the computer is off. Some of the computers I know are never shut off. I need a list of tools I can use to scan computers, find out what OS they use, etc. Also, (this sounds fishy, I know) I need some Windows virus and rootkit codes to look over and see how they are built and try to write counters to them. Google does an excellent job of telling you that 3,647,901 results came up, and only shows the first 100 pages or so. I have searched everywhere. Yahoo, Google, Dogpile, MSN, etc.

Can anyone help?

<edit>I got some tools from the recently made sticky, my other questions still stand.</edit>
Last edited by Kevan on Mon May 14, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may be a newbie, but I am willing to learn.
<<

venom77

Post Mon May 14, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: Various problems and searches

nmap -P0
<<

estriches

Post Tue May 15, 2007 11:37 am

you may want to check the Warez sites, jsut be careful that your not downloading the viruses and rootkits while searching
C|EH, C++ programmer
<<

Kevan

Post Tue May 15, 2007 9:38 pm

OK-I've downloaded almost all of the top tools on the site Don posted the link to. Now, my question is, how can I (from outside my network) ping or trace my network, then monitor the incoming and outgoing packages from the network and be able to rebuild files? Then, after I do this, any tips on making it so it can't be done again (from inside my network)?
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue May 15, 2007 9:46 pm

If you have a private IP address scheme in your network, then the short answer is... You Can't! You can always, if given proper permissions, see what vulnerabilities you can find in a DMZ machine. Then use that machine to hop around the DMZ and eventually into the internal network to find other security holes. This is a standard practice in a pen test.

As always, written permission is key.

I know we talked about this before, but I'll mention it again just in case. The other option is to setup a Virtual Lab using all that new RAM you just got.  ;)

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Kevan

Post Wed May 16, 2007 5:16 am

I know, I just wasn't sure which to get. I need to get a free version, do I need the player? Will it save the virtual  computers I set up after I shut down? It wants me to register as well...
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed May 16, 2007 11:08 pm

The Player is fine for what you need. You can't create VMs with it, but if you use a VM and make changes to it, the changes will remain. You could also use the Virtual Server product which is also free. You can create VMs with the server product.

As for registering, it's a small price to pay for great software.

As Nike would say, "Just Do It!"

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME

Return to Tools