Wireless arp poison

<<

wylde342

Post Wed May 02, 2007 10:23 pm

Wireless arp poison

I've been hacking our network to figure out how someone would so I can defend against it.  We have a small company which offers consulting and I'm looking to offer some penetration testing in the future.

I'm using Back Track and am able to see our AP and rip all the packets/IV's.  I can use Cain/Abel (Win) or Ettercap (*nix*) on the wire, but when I try and sniff connected wirelessely, I get a ton of "Malformed packets."

Is there any suggested reading or sites for this?  Everything I've read on Wireless says the AP's operate at layer 2 so I *should* be able to arp poison and collect packets.  I'd like to be able to demonstrate this for potential clients to help sales - but I'll look the fool if I can't!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Thu May 03, 2007 7:38 am

Re: Wireless arp poison

When sniffing with Unix or Linux there are some options you can change to prevent the malformed packets. I have seen this before where when you start you sniffing session you get a few malformed packets and this is because you have interrupted the flow of data on the network. A lot of the info you get depends on how you sniffing (mirroring or MITM). I would say check the options used for the sniff and make sure you computer can handle the routing of the packets if you plan to do a MITM scan.

Good Luck

Brian
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

wylde342

Post Thu May 03, 2007 7:41 am

Re: Wireless arp poison

Gotcha.  I'm still getting the MITM thing down.  Yesterday I whipped our Internet connection..  :)

I guess we all learn one time.

Return to Network Pen Testing