CEH Recertification (valid for 2 years)

<<

blackazarro

Post Wed May 02, 2007 5:34 pm

CEH Recertification (valid for 2 years)

I was just browsing the new eccouncil website and noticed the following in their taking exam section for CEH:

Do I have to recertify?

From June 2007 onwards, CEH certification will be valid for 2 years. You will need to earn EC-Council Professional Education Credits (EPE) to maintain the certification.

Arrrrrggg!! Man, I can't believe this. What about for all the people who are already CEH. Will their CEH cert expires? Do they have to recertify?

This really sucks, does anyone hear $$$$$$ in eccouncil pockets. I sure do!

http://eccouncil.org/takeexam.htm
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

LSOChris

Post Wed May 02, 2007 5:47 pm

Re: CEH Recertification (valid for 2 years)

i dont, and think i never will, feel that entry level certifications should ever expire.  they represent a minimum baseline knowledge and while you could argue that times change, i could argue that most of the stuff they teach in CEH will not change. become obsolete maybe, but not change.  the methodology will stay the same (at least for awhile)

i personally like the Cisco's business model (to an extent) that while it does technically require a recert every 2 or 3 years,  if you take and pass an upper level exam(one of the CCNP exams) it starts your clock ticking on your old exam too.  thats good, that rewards furthering your knowledge and IMO doesnt appear on the greedy side.  of course if you just want to keep you CCNA you can just take that test again too (but you have a choice)

i think it would be a good idea to retest your LPTXYZPQ-whatever every couple of years because this person is supposed to have an advanced knowledge of the subject, but for entry level i dont think so.
<<

venom77

Post Wed May 02, 2007 7:24 pm

Good catch, I didn't see that on there but I expected that change to happen when there was a message in their portal stating they were reviewing the process and new changes would take place this summer.

I also think it would be a good idea if ECC followed suit with Cisco and allowed you to renew your lower certifications by passing a higher one.
<<

venom77

Post Wed May 02, 2007 7:26 pm

Hmm.. I re-read that and it doesn't say anything about re-testing, just that you need to maintain EPE credits...
<<

blackazarro

Post Wed May 02, 2007 8:19 pm

actually, maintaining the CEH cert by earning EPE credits. Probably attending conferences and courses.
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

LSOChris

Post Wed May 02, 2007 9:00 pm

you dont think its excessive to require that and bi-annual fees to keep an entry level cert?
<<

blackazarro

Post Wed May 02, 2007 9:08 pm

I certainly do and that's why I'm disappointed  :(
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

venom77

Post Thu May 03, 2007 7:37 am

Here's what I was told by EC-Council:

"If you attend any of our Hacker Halted events, obtain other certifications you will maintain the CEH certification.

Please look out for more details on EPE credits next week on our website."

So it sounds that by attending a Hacker Halted conference (and hopefully they'll open it to others), or achieving another EC-Council certification (from this statement, it doesn't sound like it matters which) you will maintain CEH.
<<

blackazarro

Post Thu May 03, 2007 10:04 am

Hey Venom77, thanks for the info. I guess it's not so bad attending the Hacker Halted con or earning other cert from eccouncil in order to maintain your CEH. There are benefits from this such as continuous education and staying on top of the latest tools and hacking techniques, however, when you are in my position working in a startup company that can't afford sending their staff members to conferences and such, it really is hard in terms of financial cost to attend these events in a bi-annually basis.

For me, the economical way of keeping tabs on the latest security and hacking trends is to subscribe to magazines, downloading podcast, visiting websites and purchasing books.
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

venom77

Post Thu May 03, 2007 3:41 pm

I agree. I currently receive no employer paid coverage either. So far, everything has had to be paid out of my own pocket (or I've been lucky enough to loan money from my father that I'll pay back later).
<<

gqblue2003

Post Tue May 08, 2007 3:30 am

Yes the boots are not exactly cheap. That is why I was trying to figure out exactly which one to start with, so I would not waste my money. I am glad I did not rush into anything especially since I will probably not use any of my certs until I finish up school in 2 years.
"A man who finds no satisfaction in himself will seek for it in vain elsewhere."

La Rochefoucauld
<<

oyle

Post Tue May 08, 2007 10:00 am

Well, that sucks. But from the wording, it sounds as if it starts in June 07, so I should be safe.

I agree with ChrisG that a baseline "entry-level' cert should not expire. It may go obsolete, true, but the basic technologies will not change. My CCNA expired on me in Aug 04, I tried to upgrade it once, but without any access to actual equipment, my only choice is to memorize everything. To heck with Cisco.

My local school IS offering CHFI classes, that I would love to do, and probably really CAN afford, depsite that it's still $2000. But this class is online at home, and while it's convienent and all, it's harder to get a hold of instructor to ask questions. Then on top of all that, the school does not even offer the exam. The closest place to me to do the exam is a 2 hr drive away. And I don't pass exams on the first time.

Guess I'll spend my time just studying while I do chemo. I have to re-start my chemotherapy, starting tomorrow. I have a job interview today that I don't care about, and then I have chemo tomorrow.  >:(

Argh.  :'(
MCP, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE(NT4/W2K), CCNA, CCA, NWCCC, VH-PIRTS, CEH
--------------------
"hackers are like jedi, crackers are like the sith: do not fall prey to the dark side".

From 1337 h4x0r h4ndb00k: "the ten laws of geek", law x
                  -Tapeworm
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Tue May 08, 2007 12:03 pm

Oyle I hope you get to feeling better and try to stay positive as I know it will help you get thought the chemo.

Brian
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

LSOChris

Post Tue May 08, 2007 2:39 pm

ditto
<<

jackveneno

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:14 pm

I am one of the people that don't count with money to attend classes nor EC-Coucil approved conferences. If they allow us to obtain the credits the same way I currently do for the CISSP then thats fine because there are plenty of free ways of obtaining CPE credits but going by the http://www.eccouncil.org/ece.htm website there is nothing that you could do for free and obtain credits, this to me its not right because if we passed this certification before Jun 2007 then we should be exempt or allow us to obtain credits as the CISSP does and lets not forget now we have to pay a $50 annual fee to EC-Council

EC-Council Continuing Education (ECE) Credits

EC-Council is introducing continuing education points which will serve to ensure that all EC-Council certified professionals maintain and further their knowledge. Professionals will need to meet the requirements of the ECE to avoid revocation of certification.

EC-Council Continuing Education (ECE) points will be earned by professionals through various means. Please see list of activities below for more information.

EC-Council will begin its ECE points system effective 1 January 2008. EC-Council certified professionals who earn ECE points from now till 31 December 2007 will be able to register these points in 2008.

ECE Requirements
Professionals will need to meet minimum requirements to maintain their certification.

1. For CEH, CHFI, CNDA, ECSA, LPT and ECSP: Professionals will need to earn 120 ECE points over a period of three (3) years with a minimum of 20 ECE points earned each year.

2. For ENSA: Professionals will need to earn 60 ECE points over a period of three (3) years with a minimum of 20 ECE points earned each year.

3. Professionals will need to pay a maintenance fee of USD50 per annum.

4. Professionals must comply with EC-Council’s Code of Ethics.

Annual Reporting
ECE points are earned on a 1 January – 31 December calendar year. Certified professionals must register their ECE points earned by 20 January of the following year to maintain their certification status.

Newly certified professionals will not need to register their ECE points for the year they attain certification. The certification period for newly certified professionals begins on 1 January of the following year. These professionals will not need to register their ECE points in the year of certification. However, points earned during the year of certification may be registered in the first reporting period.

Certified professionals must register their ECE points earned via the ECE
Credits System located in the EC-Council member portal. This system will
available from 1 January 2008.

Payment
EC-Council Certified Professionals need to pay an annual maintenance fee of USD 50.

All payments can be made online or via a check payment.

Online payments can be made on EC-Council’s online orders page at http://www.eccouncil.org/orders.htm

All check payments should be made payable to International Council Of E-Commerce Consultants and sent to EC-Council’s headquarters in Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA

All payments must be received by 20 January

Revocation & Appeal
EC-Council certified professionals who fail to meet certification requirements will have their certification revoked and will not be allowed to continue usage of the certification. Individuals whose certification has been revoked will need to take and pass the certification exam again to achieve certification.

Certified professionals whose certification has been revoked due to non-compliance of certification requirements may send in an appeal in writing to EC-Council. This appeal letter must be received by EC-Council within forty-five (45) days of the revocation notice, providing details of the appeal and reason(s) for non-compliance.

ECE Qualifying Activities
EC-Council certified professionals through various means such as:

Method Points
Passing the updated version of the exam of which the professional is certified
120 points (Full credit)
Attending EC-Council’s Security Summit Seminar  10 points
Attending EC-Council’s Hacker Halted Conference  30 points
Attending EC-Council endorsed conferences and events  5 points
Attending EC-Council Security Webinars 5 points 
Presentation of a research paper at EC-Council’s Security Summit Seminar  20 points
Presentation of a research paper at EC-Council’s Hacker Halted Conference 40 points
Presentation of a research paper at EC-Council’s Security Summit at EC-Council endorsed conferences and events 20 points
Presentation of a research paper at EC-Council’s Security Summit at EC-Council Security Webinar 15 points
Publication of articles and journals for the benefit of EC-Council members 25 points
Next

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker