Re : retrieving files from server

<<

jb007uk

Post Wed May 02, 2007 6:11 am

Re : retrieving files from server

Hi,

I am new to the board and to be honest no nothing about hacking.  I do know whether I am in the correct section but here goes.

I have web host reseller who has been telling me for weeks now that he cannot contact the company whom is hosting my websites.  Now as the files were not backed up if I cannot retrieve the same I have lost months of work plus a lot of money.  My question is, would it be legal to try and get someone to retrieve my files off the sever as they are my property ?  Of course I do not know if this is even possible having no idea about such things.

Thanks in advance 

JB
<<

LSOChris

Post Wed May 02, 2007 7:12 am

Re: Re : retrieving files from server

i'm curious why you dont have the password to the data that you own.  ???
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Wed May 02, 2007 7:16 am

This is a basic answer but if the server is not yours and you try to access it then that would be against the law in most places. It's like saying my friend barrowed something from me and is not home so I will just break into his house to get my stuff.

My 2 cents...

Brian
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

venom77

Post Wed May 02, 2007 7:26 am

Umm... why don't you just contact the company yourself then and bypass your reseller?
<<

jb007uk

Post Wed May 02, 2007 7:35 am

Thanks for the replies.

I know who is the actual host as the reseller says that if will not reply to him then he will not reply to me.

Rgds - JB
<<

heffnercj

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Wed May 02, 2007 7:56 am

Hey jb007uk,

I'm going to assume a couple of things here:

1) You and your reseller don't have direct access to the site's administrative area (maybe your hosting plan expired?).

2) You're using a normal reseller (i.e., lazy). :)

If your site is just made up of a bunch of static HTML pages and is still accessable via the Web, you can just visit each page on your site and save it to your hard drive. Of course, if you are using any type of server-side scripting (PHP, ASP, JSP, CGI, etc) or if the site is down (as assumed in #1 above) then this won't work.

Most resellers don't consider your lost data their responsibility, so they may or may not be trying really hard to contact the host provider (i.e., they may have sent a couple of emails). If your hosting account has been suspended/deleted, most hosting providers will still have a backup of your data and can supply you with a copy of your site (although there is usually a fee involved of ~$50).

My suggestion is to CALL the hosting provider and explain the situation. Even if they tell you that you need to go through your reseller to resolve this, at least you can tell your reseller that you were able to get in contact with the hosting provider so they shouldn't have any excuse for not doing so themselves.
<<

LSOChris

Post Wed May 02, 2007 8:54 am

if everything you need is linked then a "wget -r site.com" should do the trick
<<

jb007uk

Post Wed May 02, 2007 9:15 am

Thanks Guys.

No, I am not a reseller myself and my websites are all down and I cannot therefore copy every page.  I have asked the reseller again for direct contact with the company who have the server with my websites on it.

ChrisG, sorry have no idea what you have pointed out to me could you either explain on the forum or via arrbc at hotmail dot com

Thanks JB
<<

LSOChris

Post Wed May 02, 2007 3:54 pm

Return to Network Pen Testing