CEH Self Study 2 year IT Requirement.

<<

Jeegro

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:59 pm

CEH Self Study 2 year IT Requirement.

Hey all,

I have opted to go for the CEH via self study because I am 16 and, unfortunately don't have 5 grand to spend. I am going through Career Academy's training videos at the moment, first 2 disks have been a review for me.

However I noticed the requirement on EC Council which says you need 2 years experience in the IT security field. Obviously I don't have that need fulfilled through a job, so I am trying to find any alternative which will allow me to get certified through self-study. I know lying would be a bad thing, but I DO have well over 2 years experience working with networks, maintaining security, deploying hardware and software packages, etc.

Any help would be great,

Jeff
<<

Negrita

Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:27 am

Re: CEH Self Study 2 year IT Requirement.

Hi Jeegro (Jeff), welcome aboard.
I don't think here is a way to get around the prerequisite, as even if you do a course you will still have to prove that you have the 2 years experience, as you can see from point no. 5 from the CEH FAQ.

If you indeed have all that experience you mentioned then there must be somebody who can verify that for you in writing.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

venom77

Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:21 am

Negrita is right. When you choose the self-study method, you need to fill out an application and send it to EC-Council for verification. Once verified, they will give you a registration code to take the CEH exam. You can not register for the exam without this code.

You may want to check with EC-Council on which training centers can provide you online or CBT (as you mentioned you're using) and have it be accredited. For example, I know that QuickCert is authorized by EC-Council to provide the registration code. If you purchase their CEH course (video training, apx. $1,000; last I checked) then you will also receive the registration code to take the exam as it counts as taking the course.

Best of luck.
<<

Jeegro

Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:05 pm

Thanks for the input. I like the option of purchasing the $1000 training-ware, however I can't seem to find anywhere that they include a registration code.
<<

gqblue2003

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:44 am

Hey Jeegro do you need any friends? I could stand to hang out with someone who likes the option to pay 1000 bucks for some videos. Granted the class is like 2500.
"A man who finds no satisfaction in himself will seek for it in vain elsewhere."

La Rochefoucauld
<<

venom77

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:25 am

Jeegro wrote:Thanks for the input. I like the option of purchasing the $1000 training-ware, however I can't seem to find anywhere that they include a registration code.

You can't find anywhere on their site? Or you can't find any other training places that say they offer a code?

I know for a fact that QuickCert/Specialized Solutions will provide the registration code. When I contacted EC-Council about an online provider, they were the only ones that EC-Council referred me to. Also, when talking to a sales rep at QuickCert, he stated that they include the code. No need to worry. It looks like the training cost has gone up a little, $1,295 now, but you get practice tests and e-books now (and the official courseware).

Have a look here for information.

ps. if you call in, remember you're talking to a salesperson... if you bust out some negotiation skills, you can probably get some other online courses included with your CEH for the same price ;)
<<

Jeegro

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:46 am

Hey venom, thanks, it makes sense now. I thought I would try my chances first, so I emailed EC-Council about getting a special exception case as outlined in their FAQ. He said to mail in my application and he would look it over. This way I will only need to buy the $440 courseware and I think thats plenty for me. A lot of the stuff is review, I just need to focus more on the technical details.
<<

dazdaz

Post Mon May 21, 2007 8:39 am

Like many people here, I'm in a similar situation although I do have commercial experience.  I have worked with Solaris, Linux, Windows, Networks etc for over 10 years as a Systems Administrator, and security comprises part of my daily list of activities.  Although I don't know if EC Council will accept this or not.

QuickCert CBT (self study) is an interesting alternative to authorised classroom training especially as I am not prepared to wait 2 years to take the exam.

I'm not rich, but I do want to make a smart career move.  But more than that, I actually enjoy studying, because sometimes you do learn something new and sometimes it's gratifying to gain a certificate for knowledge that you have, but can't easily prove.  The CEH v5 looks like a great project to work towards.

My last thought is that the CEH is only valid for 2 years, so you'll need to re-certify.  I have no idea that once CEH certified, and you need to re-certify if the same obstacle is in the way or not.
<<

venom77

Post Mon May 21, 2007 12:22 pm

You do not necessarily have to re-test to re-certify. You can also qualify by gaining education credits (details haven't been released from ECC yet).

In your situation, I would recommend doing the same as Jeegro and filling out the application and sending it to ECC.
<<

LSOChris

Post Mon May 21, 2007 2:11 pm

i think the 10 years in network/sys admin will more than meet the 2 year requirement.
<<

Negrita

Post Mon May 21, 2007 3:13 pm

Why don't you get your boss to write a letter for you to send to EC-Council like this;

To whom it may concern,
This is to certify that dazdaz has worked at our company with Solaris, Linux, Windows, Networks etc for over 10 years as a Systems Administrator, and security comprises part of his daily list of activities.
Yours sincerely,
dazdaz's boss.

I got my boss to write something like that for me when I applied to EC-Council. I also asked him to include a line like this; "Negrita will continue to be employed by us in security related positions in the future".

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Negrita on Mon May 21, 2007 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

LegioX

Post Tue May 22, 2007 3:45 am

I also got my Boss to do the letter thing and had no problems
MCSE & MCSA : Security (2003), A+, Network+, Security+, CEH, CCNA, JNCIA-FMW

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker