A+/NETWORK +/SECURITY +

<<

estriches

Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:40 pm

A+/NETWORK +/SECURITY +

i been looking at comptia and training camp for these and have decided just to ask yall which books are the best to read up so i can just take the test, on my practice test i did for the three i was way above flunking, but i still like to put some reading in on top of that to clarify things i guessed at. So what are yalls recommendations for book in all three catagories.
C|EH, C++ programmer
<<

venom77

Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:40 pm

Re: A+/NETWORK +/SECURITY +

I like Sybex books personally.

I don't know about the A+ though. The objectives changed and I haven't ready any books with the new objectives yet.

CompTIA does offer suggested books for each exam on their website though. You may want to start there.
<<

Negrita

Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:23 pm

While I've never done a CompTIA exam, I think that the best books to use for exams are generally the official courseware. Syngress books usually have a hold-your-hand style which might suit you if you know nothing of the exam material. Sybex books are very good but sometimes tend to be "dry". I used the Exam Cram book to study for my CEH which was more than sufficient to pass (and to actually learn something).  ;)

Any way each book is suited for different people and different study methods, and each exam is different from other exams. You may want to look around some forums on the internet for advice on specific books for specific exams.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

blackazarro

Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:48 pm

With regards to Security+ cert, I used the following books and website to pass the exam:

1. CompTIA Security+ Study Guide: Exam SY0-101 (Hardcover)

2. Security+Fast Pass (Paperback)

3. http://www.free-tests.com/comptia.shtml
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

hackly66

Post Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:35 am

Re:Passed my Security +

Hi Guys thanks to this forum and Don especially I found the exam very hard but to my surprise I passed a score of 792 studied many free online exams mentioned here also practice Sybex Fast Pass 2004 reading everything I can knowledge and cram this was all selfstudy target website's like Cramsession, Testout, Techexam, Free exam Cisco all with averaging scores of 86-93% Thank you again and have a nice weekend fellas adios my next adventure will be CEH hahahahah lol ;D
A+,Net+,Sec+
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:07 pm

Congrats. You're on your way to meeting your goals, and we're very proud.

Everyone else can take this as a lesson. Setting goals is very important but so is planning. hackly66 made a long term goal but also planned his route with short term goals. That's exactly how it should be done.  :)

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

blackazarro

Post Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:36 pm

Congrats, that's the way to do it!!
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:33 am

hackly66 awesome job!!!

Brian
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

hackly66

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:50 am

Thank you all the reason it was hard hahahaha I passed and earn Security + 2007 Edition hahahah is that wild I was so surprise this is the most current version of the test.lol  ;D
A+,Net+,Sec+
<<

Florin

Post Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:11 am

Hello everybody,

I'm not new to this forum (I posted only twice in the past), I am reading it for the past few months and I want to thank don and all of you guys for making me come back every day eager to check the new posts.

On topic now: I passed my Security+ 2007 on 28 August with a score of 836. I studied about two months, tried to do it every day but not all the time I could do this.

The books I used:
Microsoft Press - CompTIA Security+ Training Kit - 2003
Que - Security+ Training Guide - 2004
Syngress CompTIA Security+ JK0-010 Study guide and practice exam - 2007

Although the Syngress book was related to JK0-010 exam not SY0-101, it help me very much to understand very well some things that were not that clear.

I was expecting an easy exam, but, for my surprise it wasn't that easy. It made me think a bit. Also I didn't know that I am taking the 2007 version of the exam, but in the end, when I found out this, I was very proud.

Next step will be OSCP blackazzaro recommended and then, of course, CEH.

I hope that I would become an active member of this forum.

Regards,
Florin
Last edited by Florin on Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Security+, OSCP, CISM, CISSP
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:08 am

LK (Florin)  Good Job!!!!

Brian
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

kaladorm

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:01 am

Some handy links there Blackazarro, thanks.

Have any of you tried taking the Sec+ (or Net+) without the recommended amount of experience (2 years and 9 months respectively)? I'm struggling to find a way into the industry without qualifications (and hence can't get the experience to get the qualifications  :-\) and so I'm wondering how tough it would be to do A+ and Sec+ straight from the books.

Cheers
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:52 pm

Hey kaladorm,

Go for it. If these are the desired certs you want, and you have the drive to get them, then do it. They are entry level certs, and most employers understand it. If you've been playing with computers for a while at home or helping friends and relatives as their resident computer guy, then you probably have more experience than most who attempt these exams.

I would do A+ first and then Network+. Security+ is not hard for us, because we know this stuff and have been working with it for a while. For you I would say that having some experience (either real work experience or self created experience) is more important for Security+ than the other 2. Security+ is an entry level security cert but not necessarily an entry level IT cert.

After taking the first 2, you may find that you are more comfortable with the Sec+ study material than if you were to just jump into the Sec+ stuff first. This may actually be a good assessment of your readiness. Look over the Sec+ materials now, then look at them again after passing A+ and Net+. You're sure to see a lot of growth.

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

nicky.coder

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:13 pm

Hi,

i would like to add the books and tutorials I used for learning Sec+.

1. I used the Testout to learn for Security+ cert . I found it to be really good in  improving my knowledge. It also have an interactive lab where you can really understand how security is implemented in different technologies!!! (For more info, go here http://www.testout.com/securityplus/index.htm)

2. I also used Sybex book to review the contents after learning it from Testout .

3. I also attempted all possible free tests to add my confidence. Among them, I found techexams to be very useful http://www.techexams.net/co_securityplus.shtml. You can visit this during your last preperation days. A great valuable site.

Thats all.. Sec+ exam is easy if you have enough expirience in a security field.

All the best!!!
Sec+, OSCP
<<

kaladorm

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:51 pm

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'll keep checking this thread regularly for more links and suggested reading  :D

I had a quick look at some practice questions for A+ and Network+ and a lot of the questions coming up were things I'd feel reasonably comfortable learning about. There were quite a few gaps (mostly more technical 'remembering' items like number of pins on a serial and similar stuff) but I think I'm going to give them a shot just based from books.

From what I've seen so far as well the Sec+ one is going to be tougher without experience, as there are questions about the process of going about a security audit as well as the more technical stuff.

Got to say I'm quite excited about this new step. Computers have always fascinated me, particularly the security side, and I can't wait to turn this enthusiasm into a career.

I think I'm going to like it here :)

Return to General Certification