Finding Entire network activity

<<

Kingox

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:21 am

Finding Entire network activity

I hope this is the right forum here to be posting in, please move it if its not.

I was wondering if somebody could help me. Im looking to find out how to see all web activity on my network. Meaning Iv got a network of computers that are able to access the internet. I want to be able to tell which computers are doing what and what websites they are accessing.

Basically find all info going to and from my external IP.

Oh yeah and I dont have access to my router :)

Anyone know of anything? specifically software based?
<<

LegioX

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:06 am

Re: Finding Entire network activity

Hi,

First of all - welcome!

In answer to your question, can I ask if why you don't have access to the router? If it's because it's ISP managed that's cool, but if it's because you are not the network admin and just want to see what people in your office are up to you probably won't get a lot of help here... (Ethical Hacking Forum).

If you are doing some sort of pen-test or are the onsite IT guru, then the easiest (and best) way to monitor/restrict HTTP traffic is via a proxy-server with content filtering. There are many examples of software you can implement to do this - SurfControl springs to mind as the one I've most recently configured, but MS ISA, Wingate, etc support this functionality.
Otherwise if you just want to view the traffic and not implement a solution than Wireshark/Ethereal with the appropriate filters should show    you what you want to know. The obvious rules related to sniffing (ie., same segment, harder in a switched LAN, etc) apply here of course.

I hope this helps answer your question and again, I apologise if I've misinterpreted your intentions!  :) 
MCSE & MCSA : Security (2003), A+, Network+, Security+, CEH, CCNA, JNCIA-FMW
<<

Kingox

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:48 am

No, no. No non ethical reasons here (not really anyway) The reason I wanted this stuff is for two reasons. For my home network which I am admin of, I want to keep tabs on where my bandwidth is going exactly... The second reason is mostly being curious, at work. I wanted to know if any other staff were budging just browsing the net like I was.

So thanks for your help. Ill have alot, if anybody else can help out the more knowledge I can get the better.

Oh and thanks for the welcome. This place looks good and interests me so Ill stay around and have a look.
<<

venom77

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:51 am

Kingox wrote:The second reason is mostly being curious, at work. I wanted to know if any other staff were budging just browsing the net like I was.

Are you in IT at your office? Beware of your computer policies, using a sniffer could get you in a lot of trouble.
<<

Cutaway

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:41 am

Although you say:

No, no. No non ethical reasons here (not really anyway)

You actually mean, "Yes, for non-ethical reasons" when you say:

The second reason is mostly being curious, at work. I wanted to know if any other staff were budging just browsing the net like I was.

Although these may be in violation of your companies policies and procedures you are definitely treading on unethical grounds here.  This is the essence of ethical behavior, looking at something that might not be against the rules but think that "Hey, maybe I should not able or permitted to do this." 

If you have a concern about you colleagues business related activities then you need to bring it up with your management.  Of course, be ready to be critiqued yourself.  Management can the take it up with their IT staff or, if you are the IT staff, they can authorize you to take action.  In other words, as we always say here, "Always get written permission."

Of course, you will have to notify all of the personnel working at your business that they are being monitored.  You will want to check into bannering for all of your systems and all of the methods of access.  Then, once the banners are in place, you will need to train all of your personnel on the new policy and how if affects them before you can hold them responsible for adhering to it.

So, although looking at the information transiting the wire might be fun, is it worth your job or, possibly to likely, jail time?

Go forth and do good things,
Cutaway
Go forth and do good things,
Cutaway
<<

estriches

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:52 am

suggestion for home network!
if you dsl going out through a modem you can get a small hub/switch to place between the modem and your main pc, this will allow you to setup and monitor the bandwidth (which you said home NETWORK so you probaly already have that). and if your on a t1 the isp should have gave you the info on your router, due to alot of folks cant afford manage routers for home networks.

Suggestion for Work!
depending on employee handbooks, and employee policies of the company, i would check with the I.T. department. just wandering if someone else is browsing the internet is not worth loosing your job or a class b misdameaner.

as a side note i have to agree with the brotherhood that this dont sound to ethical. im sorry if i have misjudged, but the whole sound of this doesnt sit well.
C|EH, C++ programmer
<<

Kingox

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:30 pm

No no, its all good. Not to worry about it all, And thanks for your troubles :)
<<

p0et

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:33 pm

Well that was certainly an interesting thread.  ;)

Hope he got (or didn't get) what he was looking for.. depending on the intent and actual situation.
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE

Return to Network Pen Testing