Help with Advanced networking (Wireless bridging)

<<

Jeegro

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:22 pm

Help with Advanced networking (Wireless bridging)

I just recently picked up 39 computers from a police auction for $2.

My goal is to setup a lab on a sub-network of my home network. If I had wired access it would be easy... however I do not so here is the current situation:

DSL line -----> DSL Modem/Router(Wireless) * * * * * * * (in Room A)

However I am in Room B - And what I want to do is create a WIRED (ethernet) sub-network in this room by bridging the DSL Modem/Router to my own router in Room B (in this case Linksys WRT54GX4).

But I still want to maintain wireless access for computers wishing to connect to the DSL Modem/Router. My goal of this will be able to setup the lab on the Linksys Router wired, with maybe one or two connecting wireless for testing purposes (ARP, etc).

END GOAL:
DSL line -----> DSL Modem/Router(Wireless) * * * * * * * <---Linksys----> computers (Wired)

Hope that made sense
Jeff
<<

Cutaway

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:25 pm

Re: Help with Advanced networking (Wireless bridging)

You are not going to have a problem connecting your Linksys Wireless Router to your DSL/Router.  Just configured the Wireless Router for DHCP and it should obtain a IP address from the DSL/Router.  I would suggest that you change the LAN network for the Wireless router to a different NAT range (i.e 192.168.2.1) that way you do not have conflicts.

For your wired lab you are probably going to need a switch with 48 ports.  You should be able to pick on up from CompUSA or order it on Ebay or Craig's List.

Opps, I just got it.  You want to connect the two routers using wireless.  Well, you should take a look at this tutorial over at DD-WRT: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge although I suggestion you flash with OpenWRT http://openwrt.org/ which also has a tutorial at http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Configuration#head-aba1228974499bb5dcaffdb2c3d45b07bcab2013.

Good luck,
Cutaway
Go forth and do good things,
Cutaway
<<

Jeegro

Post Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:16 am

Re: Help with Advanced networking (Wireless bridging)

Thanks for the post Cutaway, going to work on going through those links now. However I might add, my dad is thinking about adding another DSL line for my room because I use up all the bandwidth, hehe, so if so problem solved.. we'll see. Anyone know offhand if Qwest offers discounts for second lines?

Network is going great so far, I have 2 computers running Ubuntu, 1 on SuSE, 1 on Mandriva, 1 on Win2k, one on 2003 Datacenter Server, 1x OSX, .. think thats it for victims (I am using BT2 as my attack machine atm). Fedora, XP and a few others will come along tomorrow.

Return to Hardware