Old laptop

<<

Kevan

Post Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:22 pm

Old laptop

I know this isn't really along the lines of the topic of this forum, but does anybody know where to get a Compaq Contura Aero 4/25, or something similar? I tried Ebay already...
I may be a newbie, but I am willing to learn.
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Old laptop

CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

jimbob

Post Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:31 am

Hi,
I am guessing by the name and the vintage that this is a 486/25MHz bases system. Since it's a portable it's probably a 486/25SX which means it does not have a floating point math coprocessor. I really can't imagine why anyone would want to buy one.

Jimbob
<<

Cutaway

Post Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:04 am

Wow, I didn't realize that Kevan was talking about that type of system. 

Kevan, whoever suggested this to you must have been pulling your leg.  If you found these because they were cheap, well, you have to remember that you need a system that can run uptodate software.  The majority of operating systems that can run on this Compaq are no longer supported.  Sure they still run but they will have security flaws.  Plus most of the tools you are going to want to use will not work either. 

I suggested you go no lower than this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-LATITUDE-WIRELESS-LAPTOP-PIII-500-MHz-WIRELESS-NET_W0QQitemZ120106382481QQihZ002QQcategoryZ140080QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You can usually get these for somewhere around $100-$200.  If you can save a little more then you could get an even better laptop.  But that is up to you.  Just be careful with ebay sellers.  Always read the descriptions and try to get the seller on the phone and have them explain what you are getting.  Make sure that everything works including the power supply and battery.  The last thing you want to do is shell out for these which will double the cost of your laptop.

Good luck,
Cutaway
Go forth and do good things,
Cutaway
<<

Kevan

Post Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:46 pm

I just like them because the look better to me. I currently use a very up-to-date computer. Celeron D 3.333GHz, soon to be 1Gb of RAM, 80Gb HDD. So how old do I go? Years wise-I may be getting an old mac laptop from a friend for $20. Would Slackintosh run on it?
I may be a newbie, but I am willing to learn.

Return to Other