Looking to obtain CEH, who do you recommend?

<<

awd_sr

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:36 pm

Looking to obtain CEH, who do you recommend?

Hello everyone, first I want to say that I am so happy I found this site!  This is a great resource that I will lean heavily on throughout my trek.

Anyway, I definitely want to get into penetration testing.  I've done a little testing, mainly using NESSUS, at a previous job, but definitely dont have the experience or knowledge to thoroughly perform a test.

I recently obtained my CISSP, and the CEH is next on my list.  Of course, I will do alot of reading before the training, but I want to ask you all which training facility/instructors you recommend.  Hopefully (fingers crossed) my job will pick up the bill, and I wouldn't mind a free trip out of the deal as well.

Also, in terms of experience or background, what are the bare necessities going into a CEH bootcamp?

Thanks again for any and all advice.
<<

LSOChris

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:00 pm

Re: Looking to obtain CEH, who do you recommend?

i'll put the plug in to check out http://www.learnsecurityonline.com/ and not try to squeeze all that knowledge into a  one week bootcamp and actually have more than a week to squeeze everything in.

the programs document is here: https://www.learnsecurityonline.com/LSO ... y_2007.pdf

if you go with the bootcamp, i would request the materials early like Don did so you can hopefully use the bootcamp as more of a review and to get questions answered than learning everything that week.
Last edited by LSOChris on Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:01 pm

Take a look at The Training Camp. And don't forget that you, as an EH-Net reader, get a special discount. Click on the link above for more info. For my review, click HERE.

As for a place to do your training, Chicago is an awesome town. So look for an official announcement of the launch of ChicagoCon coming this fall to the windy city.

That should give you a good start.

Good luck,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

estriches

Post Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:44 pm

i've notice this question alot just under different subject headers, lol. i can vouch for Training camp that is where i recieved my C|EH. i will also make a little side note i am from the south, the best training for security i ahve seen has been in the northern states. not saying we dont have good traiing but in the security world most the people i know go north to get trained and come back(threw that in there cause of the chicago remark lol)
C|EH, C++ programmer
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:26 am

estriches,

I am in Atlanta and I have heard of alot of good training around here. Not sure where in the South you are but I do feel you get better training the closer you get to a big city.

my 0.02

Brian
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

rayj00

Post Tue May 01, 2007 1:30 pm

I would highly recommend Infosec http://www.infosecinstitute.com/
The instructor I had (Tim Singletary) was very good. The 5 day class ran from 8:30 am to roughly 10:00pm. Actually Capture the Flag started every night around 5:30. I learned a lot.

Ray
<<

Otter

Post Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:13 pm

rayj00 wrote:
I would highly recommend Infosec http://www.infosecinstitute.com/
The instructor I had (Tim Singletary) was very good. The 5 day class ran from 8:30 am to roughly 10:00pm. Actually Capture the Flag started every night around 5:30. I learned a lot.

Ray

I'm a bit late the party on this thread, but I'd second the recommendation on this course.  Tim's extremely knowledgeable, but his professionalism leaves a bit to be desired sometimes.  Seems to depend on the week! 

Regardless, great class (written by Jack Koziol of Shellcoder's Handbook fame),  capture the flags were useful learning tools, and I did rock the exam and obtain my cert.  I did have several years in infosec previously, and by no means did the whole class pass the first try, but I did leave a happy customer.

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker