Where have you gone to school to learn about networking?

<<

El33tsamurai

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:25 pm

Where have you gone to school to learn about networking?

I have been going to Central Piedmont Community College in North Carolina, I have learnt a lot in the past couple of years from basic Networking skills to advanced PIX routing very fun stuff I must say. In May I will be receiving two AAS degrees one in Networking Administration and one in information Security; and I have my A+ and Net+ right now and should have my Security+, Linux+, CCNA, MCSA, CEH, and CWNA. The equipment I have been using for the past three years includes Cisco 2500, 2600 routers, PIX routers, 2950, 3400 Cisco switches. At home we get to use NetLab which provides remote access to Cisco Networking Academy Program lab equipment and curriculum at home; its like having all the equipment without the cost ;D.  With school and NetLab combined in the past three years I would say I get about three to four hours of hands on every day; which is great for getting ready for certs and the technology field. Software the we got to use included Windows XP, Windows Server 2000 and 2003, Linux, and Unix, firewall software such as ISA. I am planing on attending ECU in the fall to work on my BS degree in information security and should have my masters  within three or four years.  So I guess what I am trying to ask is: Where have you guys gone to school and what kind of equipment and software to you get to use and how often do you get to use it? And how have they help you get ready for Certs and Technology field?
CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
<<

LSOChris

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:57 pm

Re: Where have you gone to school to learn about networking?

i was all into cisco for awhile and just bought a bunch of 2500 series routers a Cat 5000 switch and a couple of cat 1900 switches off ebay. upgraded the ram in the 2500's and flashed the IOS, learned alot.  used some Cisco books, google, and the local CCNP at work when the first two didnt help me figure out my problem.  previous job sent me to a bunch of cisco training, so at the time i could get around fairly well on the router and switches.

buying a PIX and messing with it has been on the to-do list for awhile but havent gotten around to it, i'm sure the wife is crushed...
Last edited by LSOChris on Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:16 pm

I hear ya man, Playing with the PIX is so much fun lol.
CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
<<

oyle

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:23 pm

The only school worthwhile in my area was/is New Horizons. They have MCTs on staff that know what they're teaching. All the other schools in my area are worthless.
MCP, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE(NT4/W2K), CCNA, CCA, NWCCC, VH-PIRTS, CEH
--------------------
"hackers are like jedi, crackers are like the sith: do not fall prey to the dark side".

From 1337 h4x0r h4ndb00k: "the ten laws of geek", law x
                  -Tapeworm
<<

gqblue2003

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:54 am

I am from NC. I plan on transferring to DeVry in Raleigh to finish up my CIS degree. I am trying to find a school that actually offers Cert classes. The ones that actually teach you a language and/or anything that can be actually used. All my classes now are theory and pseudo code.
Maybe I am just being inpatient. I just feel behind the power curve and I am not use to that. :-[
"A man who finds no satisfaction in himself will seek for it in vain elsewhere."

La Rochefoucauld

Return to Other