Access Network Resources But Not Websense!

<<

HAAAK

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:33 pm

Access Network Resources But Not Websense!

Hi,
Well, I work in an organization. My desktop computer is joined to the domain so that I can access all the resoucres (Internet / Prining, computers, etc..).

I have a personal laptop which is not joined to the domain. Previousley, I connect my laptop to the network and change the proxy setting then I will be asked for username and password on the network. By entering the login information, I would be able to use the Internet, Exchange Email, etc.

Few days ago, WebSense system was implemented to manage Internet privilages. Now, when I access any other computer, sharing or any Intranet application, I just provide my username and password to logon. But when requesting Internet, It won't ask for username and Websense blocked page shown telling me that I don't have access to Internet. Ofcourse, , my laptop is not partof the domain.

I have read some tips about this kind of problem. Then I changed the computer name as the domain name so my username looks like this: COMPUTERNAME\USERNAME which is exactly as my network account. Then I set the password exactly as the same account on the network. By this, I was able to access any web application, printers or computers with my network account.

The problem that, I still couldn't pass WebSense gate and didn't ask even for the username. I tried quickly to use MultinetworkManager or Net Profile Switch tools, but still couldn't pass to Internet.

The offical and only true solution is toto join the domain which I don't want to since it is my personal laptop.

Well, this is the bad senario. For the good senario is applied to some consultants visit the organization with thier own laptops. They have network accounts but the laptops are not joined to the domain since they have thier own network setting for thier company.

Both cases are same situation. My problem here is how to convince the metwork that I am part o the domain without joining it.

Any idea what to do?

Thanks,
<<

Negrita

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:33 pm

Re: Access Network Resources But Not Websense!

Yes, I've got a great idea for you, but I'm not sure your security admin will like it very much. (It's related to ARP if you must know). Perhaps there's a good reason you're not being allowed to introduce your private laptop to the domain.

Why don't you just discuss this with your security admin and see what they have to say about this. You'll either find out why you're being restricted, or you'll convince them to allow your laptop, so you'll get your hearts content without reverting to covert means.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

HAAAK

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:42 pm

Thanks for responding..
First, what did you mean by "It's related to ARP if you must know"?

For what you suggest about talking to the admin. Our organization hs more than 28,000 employees and distributed all over the country. I talked personally to the regional admin and acoording to him, the are avoiding personal laptops in order to avoide viruses etc.

Now, the choices we have as follows:
1) join the domain.. this will affect either my laptop or the consultants network setting.
2) Use desktops or laptops belong to the company and joined to the domain. But we have very limited resources and to have few machines we need to have a request and wait for few month. Well.. it is a dilema.

So, back to this issue.. I am wondering how to get all the network resources since we have network accounts, but without joining the domain.

:)

Regards.
<<

Negrita

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:58 pm

HAAAK wrote:what did you mean by "It's related to ARP if you must know"?

I was talking about my great idea, but now that I see you're doing this to plan something un-ethical, I'll just have to let you figure it all out on your own. Besides you might just learn something on the way.  ;)

HAAAK wrote:I talked personally to the regional admin and acoording to him, the are avoiding personal laptops in order to avoide viruses etc.

So there you go, you have your answer. This is the Ethical Hacker Network. I don't think that many members here will be willing to aid you break rules that are obviously there for a purpose.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

HAAAK

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:01 pm

alright, I got you. Just to end up this thread. Me and the regional admin had a challenge, if I could bypass this point, then I will have my own access :).

Since I helped him to have attention to the open ports.

By all the means. Thanks

Return to Network Pen Testing