Journalist writing an article on ethical hacking

<<

GuyC

Post Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:48 pm

Journalist writing an article on ethical hacking

Hi people -

I'm a freelance journalist in the UK writing a piece on ethical hacking for one of the Sunday papers.

I'm keen to talk to and possibly come and meet one of the 'hobbyist' ethical hacking community over here. I'm based in South London.

If there's anyone based within reasonable travelling distance who'd be interested in my coming and meeting them to talk about what they do and possibly watch how they do it by all means get in touch. If you want to check my credentials you'll find my website at www.clapperton.co.uk - you can contact me on the numbers and e-mails on that site or mail straight to Guy@Clapperton.co.uk.

Many thanks indeed for any help anyone can offer.

Best regards
Guy
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:11 pm

Re: Journalist writing an article on ethical hacking

Hey Guy,

Welcome to EH-Net. My name is Don, and I am the editor of this site. I'm sure you'll find our community more than accomodating. Feel free to send me a personal message as I'm positive there are several other ways for us to help you virtually get the information you seek.

Any plans on turning your article idea into a book?

We look forward to hearing more from you,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Negrita

Post Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:15 pm

Hi Guy, and welcome.
I wouldn't go as far as saying that we're "hobbyists". I think that the vast majority of the members here think of themselves as professionals, working in some or other aspect of IT security.

I know we have a few members from England here, so hopefully one of them will be able to help you out.

Anyway, regardless of whoever helps you out, or whatever you end up writing about, I hope you write about the difference between a hacker and a cracker. Hackers have been getting a bad stigma because of the crackers.

Also once you publish your article, could you post it here too. It would help you get some peer review.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:10 am

Hi GuyC,

Welcome to EH-Net we are all glad you decided to join up and chat with our community. As Negrita stated below a lot of us are in the security or IT industry. I also would be glad to assist you but a meeting would not do for me as I am in the US but our community spans the globe. I would encourage you to e-mail Don the Editor of this site as he can assist you with any questions you might have. I would also say you might want to post some questions you have in a new thread here in the forums. Well, welcome to the community and feel free to post and join in.

Regards,

Brian Wilson
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

LSOChris

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:23 am

another question for you is do you plan on giving a negative or positive spin to ethical hacking in your interview?
<<

plik

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:41 am

ChrisG wrote:another question for you is do you plan on giving a negative or positive spin to ethical hacking in your interview?

I think that depends on which paper it for, looking at Guys page he's seems to do a lot for broadsheets (good) but one or two peices for tabloids (boooo!)

I'd be happy to talk to him, but I'm a "hobbyist", as Guy put it, not a pro  and there are many better candidates for interview here. (but at least  I'm in the right country)
<<

estriches

Post Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:59 pm

"Hobbyist" has seemed to spark a little eyebrow movement in the forum, My job is ethical hacking, for the company i work with, we test financial institutes mainly. im far from a pro, but would have to say hobbiyst is like saying pocket money or script kiddie, that i aint sorry.  lol
C|EH, C++ programmer
<<

archtctfr

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:14 am

Not close enough for the interview although I have done some work in that area over the years. At this point you may have heard of it already. There a link on this site for it. A publication called HACKIN9 is in your area and has some great information.
archtctfr CISSP LPT CEH ECSA
<<

What90

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 am

Guy,

Have you looked at going to http://www.theblackandwhiteball.co.uk/ ?
It's almost down the road for you and would give you access to a diverse range folk to chat with.

It looks like it could be a chuckle at the Ministry of Sound, filled with a somewhat different clientele ..  :)

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker