eccouncil certifications (CEH - LPT)

<<

nightwarf

Post Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:49 am

eccouncil certifications (CEH - LPT)

Hi, I would like to receive an advise about the certification from eccouncil, looking for a complete course on penetration testing I found infosecinstitute which give a 10 day penetration testing course in 02 weeks with the possibility of getting 04 certificates 03 of them are from eccouncil and one is an in house certification.

My question is if anybody can give me his recommendation about the institute and from the eccouncil certification itself, CEH information is everywhere so I would like to focus in the other two with a special look on the LPT, I would like to know if someone can take the course with these guys and if someone is certificate as LPT and can give his thoughts......
<<

profezza

Post Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:09 pm

Re: eccouncil certifications (CEH - LPT)

Please let me know too.  I am also looking into the CEH Certification.  It seems a little fake.  But what do I know.  Im a SysAdmin running security for a small company in VA and starting to move more into the Security side of IT.
<<

venom77

Post Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:46 pm

Do either of you have any more specific questions? All of the information regarding EC-Councils certifications can be found on their website.

I have not taken any courses from InfoSec Institute nor have I heard much about them.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:52 pm

I can tell you that CEH is not fake. It is a real cert, and it is recognized globally. However, you can make good arguments that there are other courses and certs that have better materials and more difficult exams.

This is the way I see EC-Council's pen testing offerings:

CEH - Tests knowledge of the basics of ethical hacking and the usage of tools via an exam.
ECSA - Take the data collected from your ethical hack and analyze it. Prove your knowledge via an exam.
LPT - Pay money, attend a seminar and get your name on a list with others who have done the same. There is no exam associated with LPT.

As far as the InfoSec Institute, great place to do some training especially if you get Jack Koziol as your instructor. If you go, tell them EH-Net recommended it.

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

nightwarf

Post Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:58 pm

Thanks Don for the information, in your post you told that exists better courses regarding meterial and exams than the CEH could please share some of them so I can compare...

Also if you can give an idea of what is the benefit to archive the LPT cert? Is just a paper that grant confidance to the customers that you attend a "workshop" and know to move around without break anything or is a must to speed your security career...

Also which one is best GCIH or the CEH... or both complements each other...

Thanks in advance
<<

venom77

Post Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:13 pm

It's my understanding that there are no other certifications that can match the technical knowledge required to pass the SANS/GCIA certification exams (at least from a vendor neutral standpoint, if not overall).

I think what Don meant by saying there are other certifications that have better material and harder exams, is not meaning something comparable to the CEH, but other certifications in general. For example, the CISSP certification is one of the most respected certifications in the industry. It's also a very hard 225 or 250 (can't remember) question exam with a 6 hour time limit. And, as I mentioned above, the GCIA certifications require a great deal of technical knowledge.

As for LPT, I don't know how much information you'll find on it. I couldn't find a whole lot. I'm not sure how several people have the certification when the courseware has not been released, but I have seen training centers that offer it so I don't know how they go about teaching it. As of right now, I don't think there is a great deal of value on this certification as it's not well known (and hasn't really been released; or so it seems).
<<

profezza

Post Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:41 am

Don, thank you for your response.  Please pardon my skeptisisism, but I come from a Microsoft background and to be honest, that is my bread and butter.  I'm in proccess of completing my MCSA nad Sec+ certs but I am lookining to focus more in to the Security side of IT.  I guess my real question is will a CEH & CHFI certs be enough to start working in IT Security?
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:16 am

Acquiring any certification should never be the decision point of whether to enter a given field. As I have now become famous for saying, a certification proves a baseline of knowledge. It does not signify expert status. It is merely one piece of the puzzle.

Also, security is a growing and maturing field of IT. So saying you want to go into IT Security is not specific enough. If you want to be a pen tester or forensics investigator (based on the certs you mention), I would say that the certs and experience in general IT is enough to get your foot in the door, but as a junior member of a team. Performing on a number of real projects is what gets you to the senior level and eventually bigger dollars.

So to answer your question, you don't need certs to start working in IT Security. Start now even if it's volunteering. But having certs AND experience will keep you in IT Security... and a career is what our goal should be.

Now you have to decide in what area. But that's the great thing about free will.  ;D

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

charlottebandit

Post Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:10 pm

don wrote:
As far as the InfoSec Institute, great place to do some training especially if you get Jack Koziol as your instructor. If you go, tell them EH-Net recommended it.

Hope this helps,
Don

As far as Jack Koziol is concerned, he is an excellent instructor who really divulges high-level hacking/assessing techniques that really revolve around C, C++, and heavily in Assembly.  Obviously a foundation in scripting is assumed (Perl/Python) and Linux Admin skills (Linux+ is ok).  Hands-on labs?  Tons, especially on writing shellcode and reverse engineering.  Advisable for those with a solid computer science backround rich in programming.  Not only that, the CEPT exam (proprietary exam by Infosec) will now consist of a hands-on practical.

As for the CEH, after attending both CEH & CEPT with Infosec, it almost seems like a script-kiddie course for layer-3 enumeration with a touch of layer-7 manipulation.  Lab time for the CEH with Infosec Institute is carried out throughout the day, along with teaching, and can go well into the night (10-11:30pm) for the "Capture the Flag" labs.  It might be good to read my review.

As for the CEH, there are really two approaches when it comes to bootcamps:  go over slides to cover everything on the CEH (extensive) to become a paper-CEH, or learn "that" on your own and take more of a hands-on course to reinforce what you've already learned- and more!
MS, CCSP, CCNP, CCDP, CEH, CHFI, CPTS

Return to General Certification