<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:11 am

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Released

Get the info here:

http://www.redhat.com/rhel/

Let us know what you think of any version of RHEL and details on v5 as you start to play.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Kevan

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:27 pm

Re: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Released

How does CentOS 4.4 compare to that? Also, how is Slackware as far as hacking?
I may be a newbie, but I am willing to learn.
<<

jimbob

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:57 am

Kevan wrote:How does CentOS 4.4 compare to that? Also, how is Slackware as far as hacking?

CentOS is a project to provide an enterprise grade Linux operating system that is free, as in speech as well as beer. Most people consider it a fork of Red Hat Enterprise Linux with the non-free stuff removed, such as vendors logos and artwork. It's pretty good, just don't expect quite the same level of support as you might get from a Red Hat support contract.

Slackware is one of the more difficult distros to get to grips with. Some people rate it highly but I'd sooner spend more time doing what I want to do than fiddling with my OS. I've always headed towards easier to use distros for this reason, plus I have to make sure my family can use it too!

Jimbob
<<

Kevan

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:40 am

I've always heard that a BSD or UNIX is best for hacking. I just got my Solaris Developer CD and want to know if I should install it. CentOS is kind of annoying me because of the lack of support it offers, and as it is not that popular, LinuxQuestions.org is not a very reliable source for information. I would like to install it as it is not as bloated and I have not had any luck with any BSD of any kind.
<<

funkybunch78

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:48 am

If you are getting frustrated with it why not go to a distro that is more user friendly and is gaining lots of support. For instance  http://www.ubuntu.com would be one that I recommend to learn on and once you get comfortable then try some of the other distros.
<<

Negrita

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:13 am

My work manufactures a Slackware based network device, and I've had no trouble getting used to it. I don't think it's any harder than any other distro I've seen.

Kevan, I think that the best distro to hack with, is the distro that you feel most comfortable with and can install all the things you want on it with as little bother as possible.

If you're looking for a flexible Linux distro with a huge support base, then I'd recommend you go with something Debian based such as Knoppix or as funkybunch78 has mentioned Ubuntu.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

LSOChris

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:47 am

i'll second that. solaris is not a good "hacker" platform.  stick with ubuntu or debian.
<<

Kevan

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:14 pm

I had moved from Ubuntu due to being told Red Hat and Fedora are better for hacking. So I got CentOS. I am much more comfortable with Ubuntu than CentOS. I am planning on dual booting Ubuntu and Solaris now since I want to use Linux and Unix. Unix tends to represent power to me. What advantages are there for Knoppix over Ubuntu?

Return to Other