Important Domains for CEH

<<

oasis_inin

Post Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:40 am

Important Domains for CEH

Dear All,

Can someone please elaborate what particular domains out of CEH curriculum are more important than others?

For example: Footprinting and Enumerations wont be as important/difficult as System Hacking or Web Application Vulnerabilities.

It would be great if people gone through the exam can give a priority list of the different domains covered in CEH.

Regards
oasis_inin
CISSP, MCSE Sec, Security +
studying for C|EH
<<

oleDB

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:53 am

Re: Important Domains for CEH

For me there seemed to be alot of questions that focused on the different types of NMAP scans and which options you use for those. Also, several questions about ping types and codes. Another area to be familiar with the is what ports services run on and which ones are used for backdoor trojans. You should also be familiar with various dos attacks and the older viruses/worms they mention in the courseware.
<<

oasis_inin

Post Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:55 pm

Thanks oleDB

Any suggestions/tips by other forum members are most welcome :)

Regards
oasis_inin
CISSP, MCSE Sec, Security +
studying for C|EH
<<

Kev

Post Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:40 pm

When I took the exam several years ago I was told how the exam worked. There is a pool of around 500 questions. When you take the test , 125 questions are pulled out at random from the pool. This will insure you dont see the exact same questions if you take the exam more than once.
  When I took it, it had a number of questions about reading snort and ethereal logs. Make sure you understand how to read them. Other than that, knowing your nmap switches and trojan ports is good.  Do you know how to convert hex?  Remember that the CEH is all about tools, something some people criticize. Be that as it may, make sure you know what the tools in the courseware are used for, even if you haven't used them. What do you use Xprobe2 or hping for? Things like that.
<<

jax

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:31 am

I took the certification test for CEH v5 this past Thursday and ended up with a 66% (required is 70%).  I was unprepared for the sheer number of the questions dealing with how to construct a Buffer Overflow attack, as opposed to any of the typical ideas that are recommended (nmap, ports used for trojans, etc).  Make sure to cover this area as well.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:52 am

Hey jax,

Welcome to EH-Net, and thanks for the heads up. We have a few threads on the difference between v4 and v5 of the CEH exam, so your practical experience with the new exam will be greatly appreciated in this forum.

What other topics were covered that were not expected? Can you give us some of the information on what you did to study? Boot camp, with what group, self study, what books and study materials? When are you taking the exam again? The sooner the better.  ;)

Thanks again and good luck,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

gqblue2003

Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:43 am

I would also be interested in people who have taken the test and passed. To find out what resources such as books or CD/training classes that helped them and or did not.
"A man who finds no satisfaction in himself will seek for it in vain elsewhere."

La Rochefoucauld
<<

estriches

Post Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:54 pm

when i took it there was alot of reading code and nmap stuff, the books i got was from the training camp they give ya some big Binders that has all the stuff you need. I did pass mine, but like i said it was a bootcamp setting.
C|EH, C++ programmer

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker