CEH certification

<<

TD137

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:50 am

CEH certification

Greetings,

Could someone please point me in th right direction!! I will be attending the Vigilars Intense Training school to help me prepare for the CEH certification. They claim to have a 90% pass rate, which could be exaggerated. First, has anyone ever heard/attended that school (is it recommended) and second, does anyone recommend a certain book(s), that I should study prior to the class that I am attending next week. I have been looking at the CEH books, but which one should I get? I did download purchase the testking exam notes, but I really want to understand the material not just memorize it. My background in a network engineer (CCNA) but I would like to pursue a career in the security field. If I pass this exam I will be studying for the Security+ cert then the SSCP. I would like to eventually get the LPT certification. Any responses would be helpful

Regards,

TD137
CCNA, CCDA, Network+
8)
<<

oasis_inin

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:51 pm

Re: CEH certification

Hi :)

I'll advise first you start with Security + as it covers all basic stuff and will help you in getting familiar with security terminology and will clear many of your concepts as well.

Later on, second should be any from CEH or SSCP as per your wish. SSCP is more detailed one of what you'll be covering in Sec + and CEH will be more n more of technical and tools specific. So you can choose either of them depending upon your preferences.

Following read can be a good start for CEH

Certified Ethical Hacker Exam Prep
By Michael Gregg
Publisher: Que
Print ISBN-10: 0-7897-3531-8

My 2 cents :)

Regards
oasis_inin
CISSP, MCSE Sec, Security +
studying for C|EH
<<

oleDB

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:07 am

So I read the Gregg book to prepare for exam as well. Did anybody else notice that he explains the TCP session close wrong? I guess I could have read it wrong, but for a TCP session to close both hosts send FIN and FINACK. Gregg stated that for a session to close, its a FIN/ACK, ACK from both hosts.
<<

Kev

Post Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:42 pm

I would recommend that you dont use Vigilars Intense Training for your CEH
<<

ransak

Post Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:25 pm

Kev,

Why do you say that?

I've got the Vigilar's CEH class scheduled in May, and now you have me worried >_<
<<

secmatrix

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:58 am

Hi TD137,

I read your views regarding the CEH, even I am also interested in CEH but i want to take the exam by self-study, even i have download the some gud material regarding it but they again changed it the version 5. i have the basic study material for it. if you need you can ask for that.

thanks,

SAM
<<

Kev

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:20 am

I only report what I have heard from 3 others that have taken their class. In each instance it was almost 5 days of sitting having the instructor projecting slides on a screen that looked similar to the CEH course ware and then the instructor simply read the notes on the slide to the class. Kind of like the class cant even read, lol!  I hate classes like that. Just tell me ahead of time what you want me to read and dont treat the class like babies.  I also was told there was little actual lab work. Also in each instance, only a few of the class passed the CEH or even felt ready to take it.
  I could be wrong, and perhaps they have improved, but when you hear several people saying the same thing, that makes you wonder. There are a lot of online resources like Learn Security Online,etc.. and this forum, so you might  take a hard look to make sure you are getting the most out of your dollars. If you do go ahead with your training with them and it turns out positive, please post it and let everyone know. Good Luck!
<<

estriches

Post Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:36 pm

I took my C|EH at the Training Camp, that was a plug and half. Our classes were no slide shows, it was hands on in fron tof the pc and alot of notes and about 4 binder books the 5 inch ones. they had great atmosphere and alot of different people to netowrk with and some i still network with. so take time in choosing the right place for you or the experiance will leave a bitter taste in your mouth
C|EH, C++ programmer
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:56 pm

I too did my CEH with the Training Camp. I enjoyed it so much, that they are now the training vendor for the upcoming EH-Net sponsored event, ChicagoCon.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

doodie

Post Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:28 am

I recently passed my CEH self study using a combination of the exam prep guide, cbt nuggets and the career academy stuff ( mile 2 cpts course ). The mile 2 course was very basic and didnt offer as much as the nuggets. so i recommend the nuggets and the exam prep guide if doing self study
<<

vp75

Post Tue May 01, 2007 6:54 am

Hi Guys,

Iam glad i have found this forum to learn more on CEH certification.

Need a advise from you guys,

My background is with VC++,C++ , VB and all blah blah sort of asp things html suff with development background and at one point of time moved myself to testing and doing functional and non-functional testing. I was planning myself to get into penetration /security testing when i moved to testing, but didnt had exact way to get in. now with over 8+yrs experience in development and testing, i enquired with Training camp for ceh course in UK, i was told that persons with strong security knowledge or 2yrs experience in security can do CEH course. But according to Ec-council for self study only a person need 2yrs experience or else can take boot camp training and do ceh certifications. Also training camp advised me to take security+ initially and then pursue ceh bootcamp, i feel its too much of money put for both course for me.

My query is cant a person by attending & learning CEH bootcamp training, pass certification ? , OR Training camp are misguiding me....

Your early reply is appreciated, thanks a lots in advance
Cheers
Vp
Last edited by vp75 on Tue May 01, 2007 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
eCPPT
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue May 01, 2007 8:15 am

First of all, welcome to EH-Net. I'm sure you'll find the community more than giving. But I would recommend that you start a new thread (topic) of your own. That way it is dedicated to geting the answers you want and not interfere with TD137's original questions.

Thanks,
Don
<<

vp75

Post Tue May 01, 2007 9:01 am

Hi

Thanks don,

i have created a new topic inside CEH Certified Ethical Hacker, Not sure if this is right place, Pls advise or move if necessary.

Thanks, Cheers
Vp
eCPPT
<<

oyle

Post Tue May 01, 2007 10:05 am

I would recommend the excellent Hacking Exposed series of books.

# Paperback: 692 pages
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 0072260815

While not specifically geared towards the ethical hacking class or cert, it does cover much of what I had in my class, at least. Good stuff to know.

I would rather attend a class, myself, so there is at least someone to answer your questions. When I did my class back in 04, the only real hands on exp we had was during the chapter on SQL Injection, when we worked through the Hackme bank simulation.

Just my 10 cents. Everyone is different. No one solution for one person will be the rght solution for someone else.
Last edited by oyle on Tue May 01, 2007 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MCP, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE(NT4/W2K), CCNA, CCA, NWCCC, VH-PIRTS, CEH
--------------------
"hackers are like jedi, crackers are like the sith: do not fall prey to the dark side".

From 1337 h4x0r h4ndb00k: "the ten laws of geek", law x
                  -Tapeworm
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue May 01, 2007 10:15 am

Hey vp75,

You placed it in the correct spot.

Thanks,
Don
Last edited by don on Tue May 01, 2007 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker