Hacking Teams for Conferences

<<

Cutaway

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:08 pm

Hacking Teams for Conferences

I didn't search for this so forgive me it this has already been covered.

I have been looking for references to CTF for Defcon and other conferences but I have only really found past events.  I would like to become part of a team.  I would definitely be a noob and probably be relegated to gopher and firefighter but that is fine by me.  I would just like the experience and to work with people who do pentesting on a regular basis.

I'm not sure if anybody here has experience with this type of stuff but I'm just putting the word out that I am interested.

Thanks in advance.
Cutaway
Go forth and do good things,
Cutaway
<<

venom77

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:36 pm

Re: Hacking Teams for Conferences

Are you talking specifically for conferences or just to participate in a competition with a team like Learn Security Online offers?
<<

Cutaway

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:01 pm

I had thought of signing up for LSO as I heard they hold some competitions but I just have not gotten around to it.  I now see they have posted something about the next "Rootwar" on March 10, 2007 but I don't see any information about what "Rootwar" entails so I never really went beyond the videos offered on the site (great resource BTW).

I might sign up and check it out tonight.

Ahh, I see now, the challenge servers are a paid for service.  That might have been what kept me from signing up.

Thanks,
Cutaway
Go forth and do good things,
Cutaway
<<

Kev

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:27 pm

Just hack 'em and get in for free, LOL!  Actually I thought EH members have been invited in for free sometimes in the past.
<<

venom77

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:58 pm

I thought I had read before when they did the last one (Feb. 10th or so) that it was free to participate in the root wars that they host and just the offer things they offer had to be paid for. Maybe the root wars were only free to already paid members though, I don't recall.
<<

LSOChris

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:20 am

sorry for jumping in on this late guys, i am on a business trip.

the monthly rootwars are open to ALL for FREE

we also try to do (based on interest) a members only RootWar monthly, it depends on how available people are to play, we generally just pay more attention to members during the free ones and help them as needed.

The challenge servers are a paying member service but we will be offering one or two free ones soon, we are actually in the process of moving the lab around to do this.

if you sign up (for the free account) you get access to a good amount of free materials from the core and advanced competencies and all new hack videos will be  released to members (but the free ones) unless they have been released somewhere else, which case i'll make them public.  There is more info on the site about what the differences in the member ships are, i wont totally spam don's site with it.

hope that clears stuff up, feel free to ask any LSO questions in here or PM me.

Return to Network Pen Testing