EnGarde Linux

<<

venom77

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:43 pm

EnGarde Linux

Anyone have experience with this distro? I've been fighting with it for almost a week now trying to get it configured properly. The problems I'm having now should hopefully be an easy fix, I just don't have experience with this product.

I'm trying to allow my clients inside of the firewall http access outside. Normally just configuring this through iptables would take a matter of seconds. For some reason, something with this webtool application doesn't want to work.

The way I have it setup is..

LAN (192.168.10.0/24) -> Internet:80, accept

Now, the instructions say that you don't need to setup the opposite (ie. Internet -> LAN). I tried it that way too, but it's still not working.

When checking the traffic to see what's going on, I'm seeing my http request go out from my client, but I just constantly get RST/ACK returned. Any ideas?
<<

jimbob

Post Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:03 pm

Re: EnGarde Linux

Hi,
Your internal network addresses (192.168.10.0/24) are not routable over the Internet so you will not be able to provide direct access to external web servers. You can either use NAT (which is what most home and SOHO routers do) or set up a proxy server to deal with web requests. The later may be considered more secure since you're not having to put holes in your firewall for every host just so they can surf the web.

Most of the GUI tools for Linux firewalls are simply front ends for IP Tables. Try listing your IP Tables rules as root, this might give you a better indication of what's going on.

Regards,
Jim
<<

venom77

Post Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:28 pm

Re: EnGarde Linux

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the reply.

This particular distro uses Shorewall as the front end to IP Tables. It is all web based management.

It has a feature called 'masquerading' (which is basically NAT) that can be turned on/off. I currently have the masquerading feature turned on for each of my internal NICs going out my external NIC.

When I have the firewall set to an Accept policy, everything works fine and I can reach the Internet. I can also see that the NAT feature is working by checking the IP at a website. As soon as I turn the firewall on, is when I start receiving the RST/ACK responses when attempting to access a website. I'll double check the iptables rules that are created, but they appeared to look right before. I was thinking that there's something I'm missing with this specific distro/web management that someone who's used it before might be able to help with.

Thanks again for the help.

Return to Other