Class Scheduled 6/8 - Linux n00b

<<

Taemyks

Post Thu May 16, 2013 9:27 pm

Class Scheduled 6/8 - Linux n00b

Hi all - I scheduled the PWB class today (90 days), starting on June 8.

I know enough about Linux to break it accidentally, very quickly :D. In reality I can get network interfaces up and going, and some routing, but that's it.  Also I know almost no scripting/programming.

That said - I'm very comfortable with switching, routing, wireshark, packet delivery, and basic ACLs, VPN...On Cisco and Windows stuff. Also I'm pretty good at documentation.

I have a few weeks to prep, a CBT Nuggets subscription, and a few hours a night.  What would the best topics to study be? I'm thinking Linux (duh), and Python. What am I going to be missing?

Thanks for any pointers!

Taemyks
<<

MrTuxracer

Post Fri May 17, 2013 2:18 am

Re: Class Scheduled 6/8 - Linux n00b

You absolutely need to strengthen your linux skills - there's no way around, without those you will waste time working on small problems! A good, practical way to go: Throw away your Windows desktop, replace it with a Linux one and master your daily work  ;) - by this you'll automatically get in touch with bash scripting.

An additional language like Python (and/or basic C knowledge) is quite useful, but I think your time frame (until beginning of your labtime) is probably too small.

Your networking skills are a good basis and are more than enough to pwn through the lab/exam.

Regards.
Last edited by MrTuxracer on Fri May 17, 2013 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
eCPPT, HP ASE (Networking), LPIC-1, OSCP, WCSP
http://www.rcesecurity.com
<<

Taemyks

Post Fri May 17, 2013 2:27 pm

Thanks - I did ditch the laptop and am using it for as much as I can. Spending a few hours so far on the CBT courses is helping a good bit. I'm actually starting to get the lay of the land...A bit.
<<

Taemyks

Post Fri May 17, 2013 11:37 pm

MrTuxracer wrote:An additional language like Python (and/or basic C knowledge) is quite useful, but I think your time frame (until beginning of your labtime) is probably too small.

MTux - I'm great at using other people's code and editing it for my environment. In my work I've 'written' dozens of scripts in many languages that just take examples from many places and mash them together to fit my needs.

Would you consider being able to dissect any given language for simple programs enough to go forward without worry?

I spent about 5 hours today at work going through Linux basics. At the end of the day I had this conversation:

Me: "This is damn boring. I've spent all day learning about basic tools. Here's a screwdriver - It drives screws. This is a hammer - You hold it like this." Etc...

Boss: "Yeah, I hear you. I gave up trying to learn about Linux a few years ago."

Me: "Yeah. But at least when I get done learning how to use the tools I get the chance to make bombs with them"

Boss: "Okay. That's Cool."
<<

impelse

Post Fri May 17, 2013 11:45 pm

takes time to learn Linux, keep going, eventually you will see some applications in Linux and all your knowledge will show up in your mind, you will feel you are flying....
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

MrTuxracer

Post Sat May 18, 2013 8:25 am

Taemyks wrote:MTux - I'm great at using other people's code and editing it for my environment. In my work I've 'written' dozens of scripts in many languages that just take examples from many places and mash them together to fit my needs.

Would you consider being able to dissect any given language for simple programs enough to go forward without worry?

Yes should be enough, you do not need to know every language in detail  ;) ... Then, try to focus on the linux part, which is more important.

Regards.
Last edited by MrTuxracer on Sat May 18, 2013 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
eCPPT, HP ASE (Networking), LPIC-1, OSCP, WCSP
http://www.rcesecurity.com
<<

Grendel

Post Sun May 19, 2013 11:48 am

It has gotten soooo bad, that almost nobody understands how to even use a command line. I had a student at the University ask me "why do I have to put spaces between the words" when running a command with flags.

Definitely learn Linux and scripting (bash, korn, csh, or whichever you prefer). At the minimum, it will get you a deeper understanding of troubleshooting a system or remote administration. I hate GUIs.
- Thomas Wilhelm, MSCS MSM
ISSMP CISSP SCSECA SCNA IEM

Web Site:
  • http://HackingDojo.com
Author:
  • Professional Penetration Testing
  • Ninja Hacking
  • Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit
  • Metasploit Toolkit for Penetration Testing
  • Netcat Power Tools
<<

Taemyks

Post Sun May 19, 2013 10:04 pm

Grendel wrote:It has gotten soooo bad, that almost nobody understands how to even use a command line. I had a student at the University ask me "why do I have to put spaces between the words" when running a command with flags.

Tell me about it! Most of my day is Powershell or IOS.
<<

Taemyks

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:13 pm

Class starts tomorrow - Here's my 4x8x8 cell that I'll be spending my lab time in :) Almost all my training the last few years has been done in there - It's a great place to escape.

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional