<<

oleDB

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:17 am

Digital forensics plagued by expanding storage

Digital forensics plagued by expanding storage
http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/448

Interesting story about how much storage requirements for forensics has increased exponentially over the last 5 years. Also mentions something I hadn't heard yet about lab certification. Apparently a few states have passed laws that require certification of your lab before it any of its processed evidence is admissible in court.
<<

Kev

Post Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:45 am

Re: Digital forensics plagued by expanding storage

Good article.  Seems like being an Ethical Hacker has caught so much attention and is the one that is perceived as “cool”, but forensics is becoming such an important area. Anyone that might be interested in that should really pursue it as a career because it’s only going to grow in demand!
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:15 pm

I agree... forensics will be huge. But because of its highly technical nature, there will be few who are truly qualified. That's a clear sign of an opportunity for a lot of our readers.

Makes me wish I was at Black Hat right now. Special Agent (Ret) Jim Christy, Director, Futures Exploration, Department of Defense Cyber Crime Center gave a keynote on "Cyber Crime and the Power of Digital Forensics."

Oh well. Can't be everywhere.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

LSOChris

Post Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:25 pm

don, i'll still volunteer my time if you are paying!!!  ;D
<<

gqblue2003

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:57 pm

Forensics is what I was majoring in but I have began to drift away. I live in DC now so I know I would have a GREAT paying job here. However I am moving to NC ASAP and do not think the demand will be as great down there.
I also talked to a guy I know that does CSI type forensics. He said that all the guys he works with at the state department that do digital forensics are miserable and it was not what they were expecting to do.

A lot of the problem is we live in a bigger, faster, now society were people who only use 15 GB worth of HD space feel the need to have a 500GB drive. My wife got me a 250 for Xmas and I took it back. I do not store anything big enough to need anything bigger than 100GB without any clogging.
"A man who finds no satisfaction in himself will seek for it in vain elsewhere."

La Rochefoucauld

Return to Forensics