Something from my archives, to be a reference for folks learning to 'Info Gather

<<

hayabusa

Post Thu May 09, 2013 8:31 am

Something from my archives, to be a reference for folks learning to 'Info Gather

Somewhat handy reference (albeit a little dated), that has some ideas for folks who are 'up and coming' and learning about information gathering, etc.

From our friends at the NSA:

http://www.nsa.gov/public_info/_files/Untangling_the_Web.pdf
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Grendel

Post Thu May 09, 2013 9:14 am

Re: Something from my archives, to be a reference for folks learning to 'Info Gather

That's actually a really nice document. Well worth a bookmark and some time to read the whole thing, even for non-newbs. Nice find!
- Thomas Wilhelm, MSCS MSM
ISSMP CISSP SCSECA SCNA IEM

Web Site:
  • http://HackingDojo.com
Author:
  • Professional Penetration Testing
  • Ninja Hacking
  • Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit
  • Metasploit Toolkit for Penetration Testing
  • Netcat Power Tools
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu May 09, 2013 9:41 am

Re: Something from my archives, to be a reference for folks learning to 'Info Gather

Thought some folks might appreciate it.  I stumbled on it while looking for a tool, one day (ended up coding my own, but...), and bookmarked it right away, after downloading it, of course!   ;)
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

m0wgli

Post Thu May 09, 2013 2:49 pm

Thanks for sharing. I've only had quick look through it, but I intend to read through the whole thing when I get the time.

I think it's also worth mentioning that the official release is a result of a Freedom of Information Act request.  
Last edited by m0wgli on Thu May 09, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Security + | OSWP | eCPPT (Silver & Gold) | CSTA
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu May 09, 2013 2:58 pm

Welcome!  Like I said, it's a little dated (circa 2007'ish), and I've spotted a few things already that are no longer valid (like a couple of the sites for searches, that no longer exist), but the premise and ideology is all still valid, as well as plenty of info that DOES still apply.

Also, check http://www.nsa.gov/public_info/ for other great resources, that have also been made available.
Last edited by hayabusa on Thu May 09, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH

Return to Tutorials